2012 Macbook Pro getting incredibly hot- 219F

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nyeb44, Jan 8, 2013.

1. nyeb44 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I know you get this a lot, but I couldn't find an instance where anyones computer was getting this hot- and on a regular basis.
    I have a brand new (as of two weeks ago) 2012 Macbook pro 13" 2.9ghz i7. When editing videos, or playing a game like starcraft (have all the graphic settings turned all the way down) the CPU Die- Digital- will reach 219 degrees F (or 104 C). The Fan does not turn on as soon as it should, and it doesnt reach its full RPM. Should I be worried? I would think that with a brand new computer, with a cost of well over 1k, that it would be able to play a simple game like starcraft 2. It gets like this everytime I try to play it. I have heard that macbooks are supposed to shut down at a certain temp, and I would think it would be cooler than that.

To get some of the normal questions out of the way- Computer is unobstructed, and on a flat surface, no programs are running in the backround in the case of starcraft.

2. simsaladimbamba

Depending on with what kind of footage and what application you edit with, high CPU usage, thus high temperatures are normal.
    And while Starcraft 2 might be an old game, it is also CPU intensive, thus the high temperature, which is within the limit for this CPU.

And yes, MacBook Pros, and all other computers using Intel CPUs, shut down, when they get to hot.

Why your fan did not kick in, is another matter though.

Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

3. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Sounds like a messed up sensor somewhere or messed up fans.
    Best is to just take it to an Apple store and have it checked out.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Your Mac is protected buy a shutdown circuit which will kick in if it overheats. I think the fans are running as they should, you just don't notice. If you are really worried, give Apple a call.

5. nyeb44 thread starter macrumors newbie

The link says that the max temp for the CPU is 105C, where I was reaching 104C. Is the 105c more of a reccomended max temp rather than true max, and is it safe to reach these temps on a regular basis? Or do you reccomend I get something like SMCfan control?

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I'd recommend reapplying thermal paste.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

On a brand new Mac?:eek: No. take it in if you are really that concerned.

Stripping down a brand new machine makes no sense at all.

8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I do on every Mac portable I buy either used or new..You have to remember it's withing threshold so there is nothing "wrong" with it

9. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

There is "wrong" with it if one cares about warranty.
    Reapplying thermal paste yourself does void warranty, you know that right?
    The OP should not do anything like that but take it to an Apple store for service instead ( if really needed ).

10. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Wrong as in temperature it's not too hot because it's not shutting down.

Do you honestly think I care about a 1 year warranty on a computer?

11. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

You might not, but people who spend quite a significant amount of money that wasn't easily obtained / gathered on a product, most likely care. Since I don't know if the OP is wealthy or not, I won't just suggest throwing the notebook out the window and getting a new one instead. :rolleyes:

Again... if you don't care and you're happy with your decisions, great for you man! But don't run around assuming that everyone else is also sitting in the same boat with you... other's CARE about warranty for valid reasons.

12. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I dont know about you, but I sure do like my AppleCare warranty.
    So far I got many parts replaced for free that could cost up well over 500USD.
    All that for 250USD warranty? Priceless

13. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

The question was what do you recommend. I made a recommendation nothing more nothing less.

----------

Again there is nothing wrong with the op's computer.

14. Barna Biro, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Guess what? I did the same!!! Except I didn't come with a silly statement like you did: "reapply thermal paste, who cares about warranty?" ( yeah, I've just summarized your previous replies for the kind readers ) I think it's just fair that the OP is aware of the consequences of reapplying the thermal paste himself... even if you don't care about warranty, the OP / others might / do! :rolleyes:

15. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1444512&highlight=thermal+paste

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=199840&highlight=thermal+paste+macbook

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1361514&highlight=thermal+paste+macbook

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=933036&highlight=thermal+paste+macbook

Here are just a few threads on either how replace the thermal paste on new under warranty MBP's. Or the effects of the changing the thermal paste, it's really not silly or particularly uncommon.

16. Barna Biro, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Thanks, but there was really no need to link me / us to such threads... As for me: I've reapplied thermal paste quite a few times on notebooks and desktops in the past years. Still, it doesn't matter when Apple clearly states that reapplying thermal paste is considered a "modification" and it will void your warranty. Seriously, stop with all the nonsense and links...

I think everyone clearly got your message: you don't care about warranty and you prefer hoping that Apple employees don't notice it was reapplied if it ever comes to that ( or you just throw the darn thing out the window once it's dead and get a new one ). Have a nice one...