2012 MacBook Pro help, SSD failed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slynger, Mar 5, 2016.

1. slynger macrumors regular

slynger

I was at the Apple Store for over two hours today, while one of the genius' tried to get my MacBook going again. My MacBook stopped working after downloading an update. He tried several times to restore it, it failed every single time. I was told that it looks like the SSD might be at fault and need to be replaced. I put a Samsung EVO SSD in around May of 2014.

After some research tonight, I see that there might be a problem with data that gets harder and harder to write to as time goes on. My question is, is it possible to do anything to the SSD from the diagnostic screen, being at I can't fully boot my Mac?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The SATA cable on the 13" MacBook Pro can also cause issues.

If you have an external enclosure you can put the SSD into, see if you can boot from it that way.

3. slynger thread starter macrumors regular

slynger

Nope. Not that. Tried booting from an enclosure and my only option is internet recovery. It didn't even see the disk.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sounds like your SSD is dead. If you want to try one more test to confirm your Mac and SATA cable are working, try to boot from the original HDD.

5. slynger thread starter macrumors regular

slynger

Goods news is the SSD is still under warranty. Guess I'll be talking to Samsung. Thanks for the help.