2012 Macbook Pro Liquid Metal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krishunt790, Jul 11, 2011.

1. krishunt790 macrumors newbie

i think we know its probably going to have the ivy bridges in them but do you think theres a good chance it will be liquid metal to?

2. blackbinary macrumors member

whats the point of this thread, since no one knows.

3. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Liquid metal? Huh? As in like forged aluminum or something? Doubt it as the current process is much more advanced.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Apple purchased exclusive right to liquidmetal for a reason. Their current process is not "more advanced".

5. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Their current process is more advanced than the process of forging metal. As for the Liquidmetal term, I had no clue that was a company until I just Googled it. Hence my confusion. Live and learn.

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Apple also hired bunch of carbon fiber makers...

It could be liquid metal, carbon fiber or aluminum. Apple will keep unibody design for sure. Personally, I hope they use liquid metal for mbp with redesign.

7. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

lol, lol, lol, liquid metal? - how about $10K for a LM MBP? :rolleyes:

RF,

8. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Threads like that make me wonder if people who post them even know what the so-called "liquidmetal" is, or are they just one of those people who's heard this "cool" term on the internets and ended up falling all over it :rolleyes:

I believe Apple wanted to use the process to infuse aluminum/titanium alloy with strands of carbon-fiber to make the casing thinner, lighter and more durable. Whether they succeeded or not, or if the plan has been abandoned altogether is unknown, as is whether it'll be used in the future products. Even if Apple does use "liquidmetal" in future products, it doesn't necessarily mean that the enclosure will be "liquidmetal" they can merely use it for internal components or accessories such as, oh I don't know, the SIM ejection tool ;)

9. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

10. Junkie2 macrumors member

I'm waiting for the 2020 carbon fiber macbook pros.

11. seong macrumors 65816

seong

In hope that I'm not offending you, I would like to tell you that just because Apple got a contract with a company that makes liquid metals doesn't mean Apple will actually finalize and start producing laptops/iDevices in less than two years. They will at least build couple of prototypes and test them long term, and see how it goes. Even if it's possible, maybe they just can't mass produce like the aluminum Macbook Pros that they sell. I might be wrong, but it's unlikely that we will see liquid metal laptops from Apple in the year 2012 (maybe a hybrid of some sort?) Remember, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The current line of aluminum laptops are perfectly fine without any major defects or issues.

12. Kalach macrumors member

Kalach

Tell that to all the people with their overheating MBP's...

13. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

:D

A few months ago, I read an interview with an Apple Exec who said they did make a few non-aluminum prototypes (Either MBA or MBP?). After passing them around the Exec said they were fingerprint magnets so Apple nixed the idea in a hurry (not sure if it was LM or not but it wasn't plastic).

This is most likely due to some of the crappy thermal paste jobs on the logic board more than anything else. MR is full of these posts.

I got lucky as my MBP13 seems just fine.

14. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

people usually don't have an overheating mbp. the posts you see here are people that are simply just worried about temps that don't seem "correct" when the computer is idle or under a certain workload.

most likely not. an "improved" thermal paste job is only going to let you see a few more degrees cooler of a computer and will most likely just impact your fan speeds. the fact that the thermal paste isn't up to par in whomever's view is not going to make a computer overheat or not.