2012 Macbook Pro not charging with L-tip magsafe

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by withalligators, Nov 13, 2014.

1. withalligators, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

withalligators macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2012 MBP with an i7 and GTX 650M. It came with an 85W L-tipped magsafe AC adapter. It now no longer makes a connection in anyway, the LED on the adapter doesn't light up, and the MBP doesn't respond to being plugged in at all. I tried the AC adapter on other Macs, and it works as it should. I then happened to try the 85W T-tipped magsafe off my girlfriend's older C2D Mac, and it works, but you have to move it around to make a connection. I've tried resetting the SMC, but it doesn't seem to change anything. I'm not even sure I've done it correctly as there is no onscreen confirmation or anything that would indicate a change. I've tried updating the firmware directly but it tells me I don't need it. What does this indicate to you? Do you think it is merely the port on the MBP? I opened it up and it doesn't seem hard to change. There is even an ebay listing for just this, which I am certain I could do myself, but I might as well spend a few more bucks and get the whole unit.

Cheers,
    Alex

2. withalligators thread starter macrumors newbie

3. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Have you taken a close look at the port? I had a really small piece of metal stuck on the magnet in there once and it was preventing my machine from charging.

4. withalligators thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I even removed the port and board from the case (while leaving it plugged into the MB) to get the best connection possible, and still nothing. Why would it work with a different tip but not this one? Does the adapter have a different sensor in it or something depending on the tip?

Cheers
    Alex

5. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Whoa, that's serious!

I use Magsafe2 now with my rMBP, but I still have one of the old power bricks with a Magsafe2 adapter. They are similar but not the same. The Magsafe2 has five equal sized connectors. However, the older MS, it seems there are four thicker connectors and one really fine connector in the middle. Maybe check the connectors on the power brick. The pins are spring loaded, maybe one isn't sticking out properly.

Or maybe buy one from the Apple store to test if it's your power supply + computer.

I think a lot of it is just trial and error at the moment.