2012 Macbook Pro or Retina Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bradonf333, Sep 19, 2014.

1. bradonf333 macrumors newbie

I am looking into getting a new Macbook Pro. What are everyone's thoughts on the 2012 vs the Retina? Is the retina screen worth the price to buy that over a refurbished 2012 Macbook pro? It's a pretty big price difference. I like being able to upgrade the ram and hard drive on the 2012 and being able to take out the CD drive for another storage drive. Also what about the CPU? Either in the 2012 or the new Retina, is it worth the extra money to get the higher CPU? Also what about the graphics cards?

2. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

13" or 15"?

The value of the retina screen, cost, weight, and form factor is really subjective. The 2012 non-retinas with extra RAM and SSDs(which can be added later at a cheaper price) will perform similarly to retinas. You are better off going to an Apple Store to check them out.

FYI, I went from a 2012 Non Retina 15" with a 2.3 i7, 480GB SSD, 16GB of RAM, 512Mb 650M to a base Late 2013 8GB, 256 SSD, Iris Pro 15" Retina and found the weight, screen, and form factor, much more worth it as a student, especially since I don't need 16GB of RAM nor a 500GB sized SSD.

3. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It really depends on the user. I prefer thin and light with a crisp screen over being able to expand the internals. If you are okay with a heavier and thicker machine with a decent display, then you may value the ease in which the non-retina can be upgraded in the future. I would look at the Air vs the retina pro if I were you. It seems like cost is a big concern for you. The Air is going to be faster than the 2012 non-retina even if the non retina is upgraded to an ssd. The Air would give you a thinner and lighter machine with twice the battery life of the non-retina pro.

If display quality is absolutely the most important factor, get the retina pro, period.

If you want excellent battery life, a thin and light but still fast and powerful machine at a cheaper price than the retina, get the Air.

If you really want the ability to upgrade the internals, and don't mind a thicker and heaver notebook, get the non-retina pro.

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

If you do any image or video editing, you'll thank yourself for getting the Retina MBP.

5. bradonf333 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would be getting the 15". I have a 13" right now and don't mind it, but I would like to upgrade to a 15".

I have to stay under $2000. I'm mostly concerned about longevity and performance. My 2010 13" pro is getting very slow now. I could upgrade the Ram and upgrade to an SSD but I don't think it would be worth the money since it's getting up there in age, plus I am programming alot more now and I would really like a bigger screen. When I am at home I would like to connect an external display. Is there any difference in the 2012 or Retina when it comes to external displays?