2012 Macbook Pro quad core 2.6Ghz i7 8GB 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scomac, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Scomac macrumors newbie

Hello,

Had this from new and is just coming up to it's third birthday and the end of Applecare (just had a new optical drive fitted under it so I feel better about having got it in the first place!). Aside from that it has been rock solid.

The questions I have as I have never actually really thought about it up until recently is how future proof is this computer? I'd like at least another 4 years from it for general use and Lightroom and it functions as a desktop replacement. Is there anything useful to do to it over the next year or so to improve it?

One other question I do have is I am now based in Hungary and this summer has been so brutally hot that I can hardly type on my Macbook as I can't bear to rest my wrists on the computer body!! Do people in hot places have any tips to make using my computer a bit more comfortable as it is getting silly! I struggle for space a bit so not sure about external keyboards etc but may consider it. Just whether the distance between me and the screen may be a little long?

The next mac may well be an imac if I can ever afford it!!

2. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

You should probably upgrade to an SSD if you haven't already. Your RAM, CPU, and GPU are more than enough for your uses. Other than that, your machine is still very high end and will keep up with a 2015 rMBP without issues. 4 more years should be easy.

3. chipchen macrumors 6502

What Zeke states is on the spot. Though, in a couple years you may not be be able to upgrade to the newest software and it may seem slower... but I see no reason it can't stretch a good amount of time.

On the heat though, are you giving your computer enough space on the bottom for heat to dissipate? One of the common mistakes is to put the laptop on something other than a hard flat surface. Many people use it on their bed, couch, laps, on top of a pillow, etc. There are a few "laptop cooling" fans and surfaces, those might help too.

4. Scomac thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I wanted to hear! I did spend more than I really should have on this machine in the hopes that I'd get a little bit longer life. I think an SSD might have to wait a little while for the old finances to recover (still paying off moving expenses!)......

I am seriously considering an external keyboard for desk use now. It's straight onto a wooden desk but the ambient temperature is well into the high 30's celcius. It does tend to be on all the time though, I do have it turned off during the night though.

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Right now my old 2012 rMBP is sitting outside hot California weather as I drink cold lemonade drink.... I don't see any problem with my old big baby yet. So don't you ever worry about it!

6. Scomac thread starter macrumors newbie

I suppose California is quite hot! This summer has been crazy getting close to 40 celcius regularly and we don't have air conditioning.......... Just concerned about the high ambient temperature. It does feel to me that the case gets ht enough to make it uncomfortable to type. I am trying to train myself to keep my wrists above the casing for typing but I do seem to revert to resting them on the casing too much maybe.

I will have a look into the laptop cooling pads etc.

I'm happy with the performance and am looking forward to El Capitan!

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

The bottom is a solid, non-ventilated plate. Cooling pads will have next to zero effects on temperatures.

There isn't much you can do apart from changing the way you type to getting an external keyboard

8. Scomac thread starter macrumors newbie

I think even a slight difference will help, maybe save the desk a little too! I am thinking of getting the Apple keyboard. Surprisingly Apple products are really easy to get in Hungary, there are about 5 branches of a major reseller just in Budapest! Usually getting anything decent is a bit of a chore.........

(My old wireless keyboard and mouse don't seem to play nice so that is out).

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I find my wrists sit on the palmrest area comfortably. Laptop cooling pads are required for Windows laptop because they designed poorly with laptop.

10. Scomac thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it's running the BBC iplayer and youtube that's really getting it going........!! Been playing around with it. I'm off work after a bowel operation (2 whole months) and it is on all day as I'm not allowed to do anything physical so I've been watching QI non-stop.......