2012 MacBook Pro Retina and Diablo 3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RogueFives21, Dec 24, 2013.

1. RogueFives21, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013

RogueFives21 macrumors newbie

Hey so I want to get back into playing my Diablo 3 game that I got last year. Last year, when I played it, my fan kicked in and my keys got really hot. Before I start playing again, I want to know if this is hurting my MacBook Pro with Retina. Will it hurt it immediately, in the future, or never please let me know!

If so, what are the best and optimum settings for the game without damaging my MacBook?

Here are the stats of my machine:

- 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor
    - 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Ram
    - Intel HD Graphics 4000
    - NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Let me know if there is any other information you need! Thank you in advanced!

2. leman macrumors 604

The more work the laptop performs, the more heat will be produced. As to whether it hurts your MBP, the opinions are split. If you want my opinion - just don't worry about it. Technically, you 'damage' your computer just by using it.

P.S. If you want to produce less heat, reduce the settings and turn on vsync.

3. sonyisawesome macrumors regular

Uhh, what?

If he wants to reduce gpu heat, he needs to turn off the vsync. It's gonna cause screen tearing, but turning off vsync increases the fps.

4. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

I don't think it will be "hurting" your notebook. I play Diablo 3 on my rMBP all the time and even though it runs it hot, I believe it is within scope of what the notebook was built for (like leman said, don't worry about it).

Hopefully you have some sort of warranty that covers you in case there is damage due to component failure (not due to abuse).

5. leman macrumors 604

Vsync causes the GPU to wait for the display refresh. With sync off, it renders continuously. Therefore, vsync allows the GPU to have 'breaks' where no or very little work is performed, saving energy. The most energy efficient way would be to limit the fps to say 30 frames per second (that is, if the applications starts to draw faster, pause the GPU to let it 'rest' a bit).

Drawing at more than 60 fps is a waste anyway, because the display is not able to show frames at a higher rate. And - tearing is not an issue with OS X as every frame change is synchronised by the windows server.

Finally, its quite easy to draw on OS X with vsync enabled in a way which does not reduce your FPS and actually increases the perceived fluidity of the animation.