2012 MacBook Pro Retina - Jerky Finder Menus

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 3587, May 14, 2013.

1. 3587 macrumors 6502a

So, I've had this machine for awhile now and forums keep saying to wait for a software update... Well, 10.8.3 is loaded and this machine is still jerky, choppy, and slower than a 2011 MacBook Air.

I brought it to the Apple Store today, they ran tests on it, and it appeared to be normal. I showed her the jerky menu scrolling and she chalked it up software. I don't know if there was frustration in my voice or what, but she said she would like to send it out to have someone look at it more.

I bought this computer the second it came out... Do you think it is more a hardware issue or software? I'm not a big fan of completely erasing a computer and starting from scratch, especially when it has been like this since new.

Thoughts?

2. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

3. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why? I hate doing clean installs! So a fresh OS and load everything by scratch again? Can't do it from a Time Capsule backup? Or just a documents/apps backup?

Well, the Mac is on its way to Apple already. Maybe they'll find a hardware issue?

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Well it can't hurt to try reinstalling with a time machine backup.

He said you should do that because if it is a software bug (which it seems to be) then a reinstall will often fix them. It's a pain but yeah.

5. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I just received my MacBook Pro back from Apple... They replaced the logic board. So, before leaving the Apple Store, I tried to see if the menu issue had been resolved... It had not!

After having to convince an employee that what I was seeing was NOT normal, they brought in an Apple Genius. He spent some time with it and thought it was "normal". I told him that it couldn't be... So, to try and prove me wrong, he went onto the floor and went up to a current model and tried it on that Mac... He soon realized that my issue was REAL. He couldn't believe how fast the floor model was compared to mine. It also had MORE and LARGER applications loaded on it then mine.

So, he had me reinstall the OS from Recovery mode to see if that would fix the issue. After spending more than an hour of my time, the issue still exists. What is the deal?

This is how you can try for yourself... Put your Applications folder in your Dock... Display as "Folder" and View Content As "List". Now scroll up and down and tell me if it pauses/jerky as it scrolls up and down... The floor models were extremely smooth and fast. Mine? Jerky and pauses. So weird. What could it be?

6. BL4zD macrumors 6502

it's hard to tell but I don't think mine is jerky and pauses. maybe it's doing it, hard to tell.

maybe the store models don't do it because they don't have very many applications installed?

7. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, you'd be able to tell. Scrolling to the top of the Application list has a noticeable pause to it.

The floor models actually had more and larger applications installed on it. Apple Genius agreed.

8. BL4zD macrumors 6502

Well then my mid-2012 doesn't seem to be doing it? It kind of seems jerky but without a comparison I can't be certain.

But there have been reports of our older retinas needing a tiny bit more grunt that happened with the .1 processor bumps.

9. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's so weird, because any other list folder scrolls just fine. My 2011 Air scrolls fast and smooth, but this way more expensive machine is jerky. Not a big fan.

I'd do a complete erase and rebuild as new if I knew for sure that that would fix it. I've already wasted too much time figuring this out.

Also, why Apple would replace the logic board without verifying my issue was fixed is beyond me as well.

10. BL4zD macrumors 6502

Well something was wrong with the logic board or they wouldn't have replaced it but that's not in any way related to jerky menus.

The UI lagging is an issue because of how many million more pixels being displayed than a MBA or cMBP screen. If you do reinstall from scratch and it resolves the issue please make sure and update the thread because I'd do it if it made a performance difference.

But it sounds like you already did that in the store when you installed from the recovery mode so if the UI is bugging you there really isn't much more to be done other than switch the discrete graphic card on all the time or sell the rMBP and buy one of the newer versions.

11. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Then why would the Retina model on the floor be soooo much smoother? Changing to the faster graphics chip has no effect either. Strange. System seems to be performing okay, although it feels pretty warm.

12. BL4zD macrumors 6502

The new ones in the store have a .1 MHz processor bump (the 2012 base model was a 2.3 GHz processor and now it's a 2.4). You could have been looking at a 2.7 model or a 2.4 model--either would have been slightly faster and more powerful than your model if it was the base 2.3 like mine. But if you changed to the discrete graphics and still experienced the problem then processing/graphical power is not the issue.

Try the clean install and let us know the results, please.

13. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Have an external hard drive?

If so, try clean install to external and boot off it to test. If not jerky it's something about the OS or possibly the SSD (Doubt it's the SSD).

If no external drive, erase and install and see how it responds.

Too late now, but if anything you should have asked the genius at the time to NetBoot into a triage drive and test...

14. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It just doesn't make sense that other finder menus are fast and smooth... The only one that is not is when I view an Applications folder menu... Either from the Dock in its own folder or via the HD folder I created on the Dock... Other than that, the system "seems" to be performing well... Just hate starting from scratch!

In addition I have the 2.6 i7 with 16GB RAM...

15. Zodiac.mj macrumors member

Make sure it's not indexing something or downloading your mail, if your os is clean, after setting up e-mail accounts, it will download a copy and make indexes for faster search. Indexing hard drive (documents and apps) and downloading and indexing mail may slow you mac down.

16. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It does not appear to be Indexing or getting Mail when I scroll through the list...

17. iyacyas macrumors member

Same Problem but diff machine...

I have a relatively newly purchased Apple refurbished 2.7 i5 27" iMac, 8GB RAM w/ 3TB drive running 10.8.3. Most programs seem to function fine example Lightroom, Photoshop, Encore, Premiere Pro but the finder is absolutely horrible. I've been using Macs for over 15 years and never seen one act like this, accept when an HDD is getting very full. Mine is jerky and slow responding when using Finder no matter how you have the Finder set, icon view, details etc... Does not matter. I have not had a lot of time to test this, but if I figure something out I will shout out. I'd bet the fix for both our machines will be similar. By the way is your machine all stock or did you install or have someone install HDD or RAM after the MAC was purchased?

FYI for those who may need to see a side by side comparison to see if your machine is suffering from this phenomenon... well trust me, if this is happening to your machine, you will know. It is extremely noticeable, annoying and almost useless to get any real work done in the Finder.

And yes I agree it is most likely a software issue, but???

18. iyacyas, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

iyacyas macrumors member

My issue is currently resolved...

After I wrote my original response, I started tinkering w/ troubleshooting this issue. As I was performing some standard test, Notifications popped up and notified me that I had some updates available. I downloaded the 10.8.4 update (made available June 4th) and this fixed my problems.

OP, have you installed the 10.8.4 update? And if so, did it fix your issue as well?

Update... I spoke too soon! My issue still exist? I'll do some more testing. It does function much better so if anyone is suffering a similar issue the update is worth a shot.

19. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Wow mine has this same issue too. Interesting.

20. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, Apple replaced all the internals on my computer, still have the same issues with the Finder... So, that leads me to believe that it is a software issue...

I'm going to wait until 10.9 is released, then start from scratch... Hopefully that fixes the issue. If not, back to the Apple Store we go.

The computer is pretty quick in all other aspects... But I'm thinking it could be much faster if the Finder is struggling like it is...

Let us know if you ever figure this out.

21. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No update to menu speed with the recent update to the OS...

22. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

maybe you could ask apple to replace the entire lappy? By any chance do you have filevault or disk encryption on? those things can slow down, i just tried what you had asked and nope its not jerky butter smooth. I have the early 2013 16gb 2.7ghz

23. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well... After bringing it to the Apple Store... We figured out that the jerky scrolling, etc was due to the OS... So a complete erase and fresh install will resolve that issue.

They did find that the LG screen had burn in, so they replaced that along with the two fans that were making noise.

Good thing I extended my warranty! Just paid for itself!

24. Mac.User macrumors 6502

That TINY bit of CPU performance would make no difference when scrolling a menu.