2012 Macbook Pro takes forever to wake up from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KingMo, Sep 21, 2012.

1. KingMo macrumors member

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a 15 inch 2012 Macbook Pro with retina display. After closing the lid and leaving it for a while, it takes forever (at least 5 to 10 minutes) to wake up from sleep. What is causing this and can I fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

Known problem with the retina macbook pro. Mine still does it even after updating the EFI and OS update with 10.8.2 :(

3. KingMo thread starter macrumors member

Do you think disabling Power Nap would do anything?

4. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

I have heard that it can help. I still get the issue though even to the point where my MacBook does not even wake. It doesn't happen all the time but its annoying.

5. KingMo thread starter macrumors member

I tried disabling power nap and when I woke up, my battery was at 58% (from 100%). This is pretty ridiculous...

6. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

Yeah I haven't been impressed by the battery performance. My wife's 2011 17' Macbook pro gets 7.5 hours all the time on a full charge. I am getting better battery life with 10.8.2 but not a huge jump. My last charge got me 4 hours of use, 20% battery left and 12 hours of sleep.

I'm using battery logger from the app store to record all of this.

7. stevelam macrumors 65816

No idea what's causing this but my RMBP definitely does not have this issue.

8. Joesg macrumors member

I also have this problem with a Retina machine. Though, my wake times were on the order of 30 seconds - 1 minute (still faster to shut down and start back up again instead of sleep).

I was able to temporarily fix this issue by booting into safe mode. The fix lasted about 24 hours before I started having problems again. I would suggest booting into safe mode yourself (hold shift just after your laptop turns on, before the apple logo). Once it has completely finished booting. Shut down and turn it back on normally. With any luck, you may have longer lasting results than I did.

9. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

this "issue" is supposed to be a feature ;)
    when in fact it´s annoying as hell...
    the absolute first thing I changed on my rMBP was to hibernationmode 0

check which mode is on (terminal):

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

and you set mode 0:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

0 - Old style sleep mode, with RAM powered on while sleeping, safe sleep disabled, and super-fast wake.
    1 - Hibernation mode, with RAM contents written to disk, system totally shut down while “sleeping,” and slower wake up, due to reading the contents of RAM off the hard drive.
    3 - The default mode on machines introduced since about fall 2005. RAM is powered on while sleeping, but RAM contents are also written to disk before sleeping. In the event of total power loss, the system enters hibernation mode automatically

----------

in hibernationmode 0 your machine shuts down at a total powerloss (so you know u can lose data, if you ignore all warnings)

EDIT: oh and the slow wake up has nothing to do with powernap, your wifi, FileVault or anything... its all bout the hibernation