2012 Macbook Pro - upgrade options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by packerblitz, Oct 20, 2013.

1. packerblitz macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm looking for upgrade options on my Macbook Pro. It's a 13" purchased in November 2012. Ever since I bought it, it felt a little sluggish. Opening programs, going through finder, basically just routine tasks feel a little slow. I upgraded the ram to 16GB and that made a difference but it still feels a little slower than the PC I was using before hand.

My question is if using a data doubler kit with a SSD drive would that make a big difference? I don't restart my laptop very often so bootup times aren't really a concern for me. I restart about once every 2 weeks. Restarting doesn't seem to make any difference in speed when using the computer. I use Photoshop a fair amount and other than that mostly web development tools. No video editing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Yes, for the things that you mentioned (opening programs and navigating the Finder), an SSD would make a dramatic difference.

3. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

An SSD should make a difference, but a 2012 Macbook Pro shouldn't be "slow" compared to others unless you have high expectations for speed. If an SSD still seems slow to you, there may be something else with the machine. Might also want to try reformatting as it may be applications or processes that you ran on it that may have contributed to the slowdown.

What bothers me is this:

If you noticed its sluggishness, you should have probably checked to make sure it wasn't some faulty hardware instead of bringing this issue up now after almost a year.

4. packerblitz thread starter macrumors newbie

What I'm hoping to do is get the SSD drive installed and all of my application's settings stay in place. Is it possible to get the OS and all applications onto the SSD drive exactly as they are now? If I need to re-install the OS and all of my applications it's probably not worth all of the downtime. It would take forever to get all of the settings just right in each application.

The SSD will probably be a different size than my current hard drive, not sure if that makes a difference.

5. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Yes, that's pretty easy. Try SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Or use disk utility, following these instructions.

Also, take a look at the SSD Buying Guide sticky if you haven't already.

6. StellaJohn macrumors newbie

Speed up Slow Macbook

Below are some steps to maintain your Macbook speed reliable n fast:-

- Defrag your Hard Disk
    - Uninstall Junk Stuff Installed by Free Programs
    - Delete User Preferences
    - Clear your Cache
    - Disable Startup Items
    - Empty the Trash Folder Regularly

Source:-
    http://www.backspacetab.com/speed-up-your-slow-macbook/