2012 MacBook Pro vs. current MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HaruAoki, Dec 3, 2014.

1. HaruAoki macrumors member

HaruAoki

I have a Macbook Pro 13-inch: 2.5GHz 2012 and was thinking of getting the Macbook Air 13-inch : 256GB and was wondering if it was better then the Macbook I have know or is it a downgrade compared to it ?

What do you guys think should I go out and buy the MacBook Air ? the computer will be used for light work usage (due to my iMac it will not be my main work computer) internet, movies and iPhoto.

I have another question whats the Macbook Air compared to the new Macbook Pro 13-inch: 2.8GHz with Retina display like ?

I'm abit stuck on witch new Macbook I want to buy if you have any info that could help me out that would be grateful.

Thank you for your time and have a great day!

2. cycledance Suspended

waste of money if u ask me...better wait till apple refreshes their mbp and mba and think about it again then.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well I would wait if you want an air

Wait for retina if you want an air.

The new rMBP is a great little laptop probably the best around at the minute. The screen really is worth it.

An SSD upgrade in your current mac will make it run much better and give you another year for little money outlay, look at the samsung evo and crucial MX100 for best bang for your buck.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I have used the 2012 cMBP, the 2013 retina pro, and the Air so I can give you my opinion.

The Air is by far my favorite of the 3. The weight difference between the cmbp you have and the Air is massive. When you combine the weight difference with how thin the Air is, you really have a much more portable and comfortable machine to use especially since you have an iMac you will probably be using this laptop when out of your house.

The Air's resolution is slightly better than the cMBP but both pale in comparison to the retina pro. If display is a major concern, the retina pro wins hands down. For me, the display took a backseat to all of the other amazing advantages to the Air. It has more than double the battery life of your cMBP which is the entire point of a laptop. As I also said, it's much thinner and weighs almost half of what your cMBP weights. So in my opinion yes, you would be much better off with the Air vs what you currently have.

As far as the Air vs retina pro, it really depends on your preference. The retina pro is only slightly heavier than the Air and battery is about 4 hours less than the Air but much better than the cMBP. The thing I did not like about the retina pro was the ridge along the front which isn't comfortable for typing and such. I find the wedged design of the Air almost perfect for long typing sessions. Again that is just my opinion and others will disagree.

As I said the display on the retina pro is significantly better than the Air but that is only one aspect of the features to take into consideration.

For me, the Air is the best option but each user is different and that is why we have options.

If you are happy with your current machine, you may want to hold off for a few months and see what the next version of the Air looks like,