2012 MacBook Pro, worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Delorean2006, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro with the 2.53 Ghz Core i5 and I was just wondering if it would be worth it for the upgrade to the base 2.3ghz Core i7, I would only get the base because I want to upgrade to 8gb of ram later because its cheaper than Apple's offerings and I have a Seagate Momentus XT that I would just swap over and put my old hard drive back in my 2010 and sell it, i just want to know if it is even worth it to upgrade to the 2012 and I would be getting the hi-res screen, matte of course which I didn't have before

2. leehong888222 macrumors newbie

Not in my opinion

Hey mate, sorry to pop your bubble but the new Mac Book Pro 2012 doesnt allow users to upgrade the ram nor the hard drive, so your seagate Momentus XT cant be transferred over and the ram is soldered into the Motherboard meaning you can't upgrade it once you get it. Due to these reasons i am not even upgrading from my 2009 unibody Mac, since i have a SSD and 8gb of ram in it.

It also depends how you use your Mac, do you use it as your primary computer? Are you a power user (ie Photoshop, gamer?), it might worth your time having a look at it. But for me i use my mac as a Uni computer typing up essays and listening to music. I use my Custom Bulit Desktop to play all the latest Games. Therefore i don't have a reason to upgrade, it would be a overkill to what i need my laptop to do.

3. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

The MBP Retina cannot be upgraded, the non-retina ones are just like the previous MBPs.. i.e. they CAN be upgraded!

4. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

What do you do on your computer?

That's the only question that will determine whether you need a knew one or not.

5. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

It's pretty clear he's talking about the legacy MacBook Pro.

He never mentioned retina at all. And he said he'd upgrade to 8GB RAM later, which is standard on Retina of course.

6. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

You can upgrade the ram and HDD on the macbook pro.

You can't upgrade the ram on RMBP, but you will be able to upgrade the flash storage once OWC offers it just like the air. But of course it'll be much more expensive