2012 Macpro Multiple pci-e 'sata' boards?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rshanahan, Feb 4, 2014.

1. rshanahan macrumors regular

Folks,

I have been using an OWC Acceslior (128gb) for a year and a half (moved from my 2007 mp to my 2012 mp). I needed more space and considered upgrading the memory and to the new board w/external data connectors. The cost was a little high and with the Black Friday specials abound I ended up ordering a Samsung Evo 250GB and an Apricorn pci-e card. That works like a champ. I decided to keep the OWC card as well. Here's where my problem arises. With both cards in the machine, it fails to boot (or at least takes a very very long time, which I didn't wait). It takes forever just to get the boot menu up (pressing the option key).

Each board works ok by itself, they just don't work together. I have even tried moving them around (I'll admit that I didn't try EVERY combination of the two in the three available slots).

Any ideas? I think I may just try to sell the OWC card and call it a day. Note that all 4 of my sata drive bays are occupied.

Thanks!

Rick

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

There have been several threads here where we noted issues with PCIe SATA board incompatibility. The Solo x2 is a very nice card ... but it also seems sensitive to what other SATA controllers are on the bus at the same time. I have had the best success with it in PCIe slot #2 (next to the video card) while also using a Sonnet Tempo Pro dual SSD card (slot #3), but I have issues if I also have a CalDigit eSATA/USB3 card (slot #4) installed at the same time. Some users report that the older Solo x1 card works better, although not as fast (it has a different controller on it).

I ended up not using the Solo x2 card. :(

Please report back if you discover a cure for the problem.

-howard