2012 MacPro with ATTO R608 RAID - Crashes

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bunger, Apr 29, 2013.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

I have a 2012 Mac Pro, 4 2TB drives, and the ATTO R608 RAID controller. The MP is running the latest version of OS X server and using all latest ATTO drivers and firmware. Unfortunately, the server regularly crashes with the RAID controller throwing various errors ( heartbeat failed, bus reset, insufficient resources, etc ).

I have been working with ATTO Since mid-February and their latest stance is that there isn't anything wrong with the card?!

The reason I bought this ATTO card is because there were so many positive reviews, but I am not regretting the purchase.

Is anyone else having issues with this card?

tia,
    Bill

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

3. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

I have. I have been working with them for over 2 months and am not getting anywhere!

4. ortholing macrumors newbie

ortholing

Problems with ATTO

HI Bill,
    I have the same issues as you do... I have contacted ATTO support many times- no luck so far.
    Now I have changed to the Areca 1880X (SAS-SATA RAID controller)- and everything is fine.
    One of the minor problems I had with the ATTO card was that the fan control demon accelerated the PCI fan to 2900 RPM- this was too loud for me- but ATTO told me that the card needs this airflow to prevent it from overheating and causing malfunctions. With the Areca card I have a silent MacPro ( it has its own fan) and everything is fine. I plan to sell the ATTO card. Perhaps it will work better on a PC?

5. ortholing macrumors newbie

ortholing

ATTO's info about overheating

Here is the PDF file concerning the overheating problems:
    ATTO will not use built-in fans on the controller cards...

Attached Files:

6. OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

OS6-OSX

As mentioned in the pdf, I use a pcie fan to blow directly on my R644
    Zero heating issues!
    But then again it's not used as a server. On 12hrs max

Attached Files: