2012 MBA 13" Base with 8GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Wicked1, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

anyone buy one of these, and just curious if I should upgrade the sad to 256gb, I am not in need of the 2.0 ghz cpu as I do not think there would be too much of a difference for the speed boost since I do not do anything cpu intensive.

Just trying to gauge how people like the new 2012 13" MBA's???

I will more that likely use an external portable usb 3.0 drive for all my data, since you can not fit too much on a 128 or 256ssd and I do not want to go for the 13" ultimate just to get 512?

Just curious what others are doing, I still need to go to the Apple store and check them out, getting tired of my uMB as it is slower, doesn't have USB 3 and the fact that I no longer need a superdrive, but would prefer something like and comfy :rolleyes:

2. macguybaltimore, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

macguybaltimore macrumors newbie

Like mine a lot! I agree that the 2.0 ghz cpu isn't needed

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I just ordered today on apple site, but that is what I went for. Base 13 128gb with 8gb ram.

If I could fit all my data on 256GB I'd likely have just got the top end 13 with 8gb.

I spent time thinking about it and for me. The configuration I went with was the only thing that made sense. Otherwise I may as well get a 15.

4. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Looks to be the way I will go, since we can upgrade the ssd later on, and since I plan on keeping this for three years with Applecare, I will most likely go with the base 13 and 8gb/128 and just use the external drive for storage.

Not all my stuff will fit on a 512 either, so I think it is time to start cleaning up space and just use the 128 for os, apps and base items.

Sounds like a lot of other folks were in the same spot I am in now :)

I would have gone for a 13 refurb, but I am looking for the USB 3

5. robdrj45 macrumors member

I have a 13/8/128. I like it, it's very fast. I decided against the 256 because I felt I could spend less money on a compact external hard drive and get way more capacity. I don't need to take a ton of media with me, and if I had to for some reason, a small external is easy to take along. A 512 ($$) was out of the question...at that point, I would rather spend the extra money and get a rMBP.

6. Boilerhead macrumors newbie

I bought my 13"/128 GB/8GB about a month ago and I can't be happier. It is much faster than my old Dell Studio, most likely because of the SSD. There is not a single flaw with this machine that I cab think of. I would have got the 256 GB version, but apple charges more than my budget could handle for the upgrade. Really though, it was just for peace of mind. The 128 is fine alongside a USB 3.0 portable hard drive.

7. Raejin macrumors member

I went for i5/128/8. Although I am not eligible to speak for it since I haven't received it yet. But I think this is the deal that makes most sense to me.
    Like the reply above mentioned, I could have gone with large external storage solution with $300. In fact, I could get 1.5TB w/ USB 3.0 just for slightly above $100. In addition, SSD is known for shorter lifespan in comparison to HDD. Therefore, I would think it might not be right for me to spend $300(or $750) on a storage solution that is yet able to deliver stability and durability.

Overall, SSD is great. It evaluates the speed standard of a laptop. But I would probably store all of my important files either on Dropbox or external hard drive.

8. will waters macrumors regular

Well, I am righting to you on my i5/8Gb/128Gb need I say anymore...

However I will because it is so fantastic, I upgraded from a macbook and it has been a worth while investment, i can quite easily game on COD MW from an external USB 3 HDD, and this is satisfactory (infect very quick)

Will

9. amien macrumors member

I have now the 2012/i5/256/8 and before i had the 2011/i5/128/4

i did the memory upgrade for the sake of parallels. I'm using this laptop also for my work and i need a program which is not available on the mac and consumes memory.

128GB was just about enough. And i dont store any pictures or movies. to be save i did the 256GB upgrade. I also wanted to have some 8GB games on my mac.

10. JMountainDew macrumors regular

JMountainDew

I waffled back and forth for a few weeks trying to decided between a 128 and a 256. Plus the extra $300 for that matter. 128 would have been enough space, at least for a while. But in the end, I coughed up the extra money and got the 256. My justification? Not ever having to worrying about storing movies etc somewhere else. I'll have all the room I need.

11. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

I'm in the same position as you right now. I'm saving money to buy a 13'' MBA but I don't really know if go with the 128 or the 256 SDD. Saving for the latter would take more 3, 4 or even more months so I don't know yet...

Does anyone knows if it is possible to run Windows and play games/use software from an external HDD using Bootcamp or Parallel? I think the answer is no but I want to now for sure before taking any decision whatsoever.

12. Atenza macrumors newbie

In terms of Bootcamp, you can run games from an external hard drive. Although I haven't tried it on my mac yet, I do play Diablo 3 on my work laptop (Windows based) through an external USB 3 HDD with no problems at all.

13. anthdci macrumors 6502

I have the 13/128/8 with the 1.8 i5. The reason I went for it was because the difference between the i5 and i7 was minor and not worth the extra for my usage, where as having the extra 4gb Ram was very helpful for vmware. I only need the 128gb as my iTunes is on Match, and the two locations I use it, work and home, I have a PC or server with a lot of storage space to put stuff I need if I am running short. I currently have about 60gb free.

14. Wokis macrumors regular

I got the base model you're describing.

Storing consumer grade video material on ssd just felt like a waste of such an expensive storage media. I could not justify ~$300 on such an upgrade with the purpose of storage. But then again I got other means of storing my shows and music and don't necessarily need to take it all with me when I bring the Air :D

20GB bootcamp partition. Adobe production premium CS6, final cut pro 7, microsoft office and smaller apps installed. I have around 60GB free on the OSX drive and 5GB free on the bootcamp drive (w7+ one game installed there).

What I have done in terms of trying to save space is that I've used monolingual to remove irrelevant language packs, deleted some apps from ilife that I don't expect myself to be using, and spotify is set to practically only stream songs and not keep a local storage, yet :)

The nifty drive will be a welcome addition when it comes, though!

15. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I bought the VERY base 2012 i5 4gb 128. I view it as just a companion to my desktop and mainly for writing WORD when i dont want to be tethered to my desk and for email, surfing, streaming movies, and also as an adjunct to my ipad3. I bought it from amazon for 1139, no tax and 12 months same as cash withe amzn store card. IF amzn had the 8 gb upgrade i would have gone for it but the 4gb is plenty for my usage. Its a great laptop SO light and fast compared to the 2011 13" MBP i sold before i bought the air.