2012 mba == 2010 mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by modular, Jul 1, 2012.

1. modular macrumors regular

I'm considering getting a maxed out 13" air for portability. The only thing is I want to make sure I'm not losing performance. I tend to use heavy apps like aperture, final cut pro, and maya. in early 2010 this macbook pro 15" with GT 330M graphics and 8GB ram was the best laptop you could get for that.

Today, most people would tell me do not get the Air for these apps - but really, wouldnt I be able to expect similar performance with a boatload more portability? With the Air able to get 8gb ram now, I'm very tempted to jump on it.

what do you think, should I switch to an Air?

2. mikeray macrumors regular

3. modular thread starter macrumors regular

man, what I would pay for a 13" mbp with discrete graphics in the new retina form factor without the retina display.. is that asking for too much?

ok aside from 3d (very light at most), how are we looking with aperture (80% of my work), and final cut pro (20% of my work).

4. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Not enough - also a 1440x900 resolution non-retina display over the current 1280 resolution. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

5. BlueOcean macrumors member

According to Geekbench, the 2012 Airs smush the 2010 Pros in terms of computing power. SSD and better RAM will also help. As was mentioned, the only disadvantage would be the lack of GPU.

1440x900, form factor of rMBP, quad core i7 and dGPU and I'm sold :D I'd even settle for the dual-cores they use now if I can have the dGPU.