2012 MBA as desktop PC...docks and screens?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by richardabrams, Jun 16, 2012.

1. richardabrams macrumors newbie

I'm looking in to solutions to run 2 external monitors on my 2012 mba. I've read that it may be technically possible to run two TB displays but regardless my pockets aren't that deep. I just want to external dvi/hdmi/vga monitors. With that in mind I've ordered a mac compatible usb 2 to dvi adapter but I know the performance will be poor.

Has anyone any knowledge of any USB 3 based video options that can deliver better performance without a big CPU hit or indeed an alternate solution via TB that doesn't cost a fortune.

I don't want one input spanned over two screens. I think that's a cop out. Really looking for 2 separate displays.

Also, do we think there will be any henge dock type option for the 2012 mba considering the port layout; or indeed an alternative quick dock.

Thanks again.

Richard

2. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

3. richardabrams thread starter macrumors newbie

y, I've got a mini display adapter for 1 external screen. It's the 2nd that a challenge.

Saw the belkin...$400 bucks tho

http://www.belkin.com/pressRoom/releases/uploads/ThunderboltCableDock_060512.html

Almost be cheaper to buy a mac mini in addition to the MBA. Hopefully cheaper ones will come out. Also can't seem to get concrete information on whether the 2012 mba can drive 2 external screens. Such a shame they didn't put in another TB or HDMI port.

4. Zzari macrumors member

Pretty sure it can. You just daisy chain the 2nd TB display to the 1st one.