2012 MBA El Capitan Graphic Glitch

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mlrollin91, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Hello all!

Wasn't entire sure if I should post this under MBA or El Capitan.

Anyway, since installing El Capitan on my 2012 MBA (DP1), I've noticed that rarely I will have graphical glitches on my computer that requires a restart to get rid of. This has occurred three times over the last 2 months. When the glitch occurs, the edges of my screen get fuzzy and start flashing. Similar to the issue that the MBP's had a recall for a couple years back. I have done a couple GPU stress tests to see if that will cause the issue, but it doesn't. I have also ran the Apple Hardware Test, and that comes back clean.

Could it be just a software glitch that is causing the GPU to glitch, or does it sound more like hardware failure of the GPU?

Any input would be great.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It's really, really difficult to say because it's beta software at the moment, so it could be causing that problem. Nonetheless, what you've described is synonymous with a GPU/MLB failure.

What I'd recommend is getting a video of the problem occuring - possibly uploading to YouTube or some such website - then submitting a bug report with a link to that video as well. It's doubtful they'll respond to you but I definitely think it's your best bet. Plus if it still exhibits the same issues on the GM you know it's hardware (hopefully you still have AppleCare).

I suppose in the meantime you can quickly try check the SSD is OK (anything other than Passed is bad), and run a volume verification in Disk Utility? Doubtful that either of them will fail or even cause the problems you're having, but it shouldn't take too long to verify. At least it'll provide some peace-of-mind that the SSD's OK and the Macintosh HD volume doesn't have any corruptions.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

3. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I was able to capture video of the issue 2 of the 3 times. Which shows the computer exhibiting the behavior in different ways, but still a similar glitch nonetheless. I will definitely get those videos uploaded and submit them to Apple.

Tan the SSD check and that passed, so thats good to know.

If the issue continues or gets worse, I will definitely take my computer in to see what their tests say. Unfortunately, its not under AppleCare anymore, but I really only need this computer to last me until the Spring time. Will need a new one for law school anyway. Just don't want to upgrade now, when the upgrade is not needed.

Thanks again.