2012 MBA fan grinding?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by filmbuff, Mar 8, 2014.

1. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I'm having very bad luck with computers the last few days. First my Windows 7 bootcamp installation got corrupted, now this.

I was using my macbook this morning, no issues whatsoever. I put it in my brief case and go to work (I keep the macbook in a portfolio case and I was very gentle with it) and then take it out to use it and notice the fan is making a screaching/grinding noise. Up until now the fan was 100% silent. I tried using some graphic intensive programs to run it up to 6500rpm to see if that would fix it but that had no effect.

Has anybody else had this issue? I haven't heard of any issues with 2012 macbook fans and it seems too soon to be having problems like that. My old 2006 macbook has a noisy fan but that is understandable. What can I do to fix it? Is the fan accessible if I take the bottom cover off? The laptop is out of warranty.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Fan spinning fast and making the whoosh-whoosh noise is one thing, making a grinding noise is an entirely, needs attention, thing.

Only you know whether you are comfortable enough to open it up, unmount the fan and attempt to clean it and hopes that does it.

U got an engine light, don't wait too long. All moving things eventually wear out.

3. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

4. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Hi mate, I had the exact same problem with mine not long ago, I used smcFanControl to go to full speed on fans, and that seemed to solve it. Good Luck!

5. penghu macrumors newbie

MacBook Air 2012 owner here. I've definitely noticed the fan getting more noisy in the 18 months I've owned it. I put that down to dust/general rubbish getting in. I wouldn't open the casing unless it got much worse.

However, if you're getting a grinding noise it's definitely time to do something - whether you do it yourself or get someone to take a look.

Because the fan is always spinning it can only get worse or do some serious damage to itself.