2012 MBA - should I install Sierra?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by OceanFrog, Nov 6, 2016.

1. OceanFrog macrumors regular

So I have the 2012 MBA currently running El Capitan.

I'm afraid to upgrade to Sierra in case it slows down my machine. (I know it's different but iOS 10 has slowed my iPhone 6 to an absolute crawl).

Any one done this? Any advice?

2. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I have Sierra on my 2012 Macbook Air.
    This may be isolated incident, but I'll share my experience that did not exist in El Capitan.
    - Battery. Yes, my 2012 laptop's battery is not really in tip-top shape, but under Sierra, my Macbook Air now shuts down by itself when the battery indicator is still showing ~30-40% battery left. When connected to the charger, it says 0%. Tried SMC resets dozens of times, and even clean installing Sierra, and it's still happening. I didn't have this issue at all when it was still on El Capitan.
    - Performance wise, it's okay. However GUI related things like expose etc feels a bit less smooth. It's as if Sierra push the GPU a bit more.
    - For some reason, Safari sometimes have troubles connecting to Google services, be it search or youtube. Using Bing etc didn't produce the same problem. Safari sometimes just lost internet connectivity for no reason (it is waiting to load a page, but no internet activity, then it times out. Subsequent refresh works fine. Weird).

So those are my experience. My biggest issue is the battery, as I frequently in the middle of typing and suddenly the laptop shuts down. It's highly annoying.

3. gertruded macrumors regular

Sierra on my 2012 Air since day one. No problems. Was afraid that iPhoto would not work with Sierra but just works fine. Most of the time my Air is used in clamshell mode attached to a 23" monitor as my main computer. Siri is a joke though.

I have replaced my battery, it was easy to do.

i hope my air lasts a long time as the new replacement is just too expensive. I think I will be forced back to Windows when this computer fails. Apple is changing and not for the better.

4. Meicyn macrumors regular

Meicyn

Sierra runs alright on my MBA, but I do have 8 GB of RAM which likely helps. Some websites are a bit of a drag in Safari.

5. OceanFrog thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I'll play it safe and keep El Cap ... not worth the risk of slowing down my MBS for Sierra.

This is me btw ... I have 8gb RAM but still not sure if this will make a difference.

[​IMG]

6. pika2000 macrumors 68030

If the laptop is your primary laptop, or you use it most of the time, I say stick with El Capitan for now. It's one of the best version of MacOS I've ever used, especially after the dreaded Yosemite.

7. cnev3 macrumors 6502

8. yoimrae macrumors newbie

yoimrae

I use MBA 2013 13" base model. I will stick to OS X 10.11.6 for now and there is no important feature in Sierra that I need.

9. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Really? Yosemite ran like a champ on my MacBook Air. I didn't upgrade to El Capitan, but did to Sierra and it's a lot slower and more sluggish on the Air.

10. nordique macrumors 6502a

El Cap was solid. People like/liked El Cap because it basically fixed all the bugs in Yosemite (and there were a bunch when it launched) and for some people Yosemite had slow animations (so it made the computer/OS feel laggy, like it was an older iPhone running a newer iOS version, switching between desktops for example stuttered needlessly), El Cap basically fixed those issues so it felt a lot faster, and was noticeable for older devices (felt like an "upgrade" especially if you were running an intel core duo laptop coming from yosimete to el cap)

OP you can always Time machine backup and try upgrading, then downgrade/restore to El Cap if you don't like Sierra. Sierra seems to run fine on my iMac but its a more powerful machine than the Air so I can't say how it would affect your computer.

11. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Yosemite is very buggy. Even the mail app can crash on its own for no reason. This alone makes it quite unusable for me. I really dreaded the days I had with Yosemite. When El capitan came out, it was a complete relief.

Sierra, although stable, doesn't feel as smooth as El Capitan (plus the battery shutdowns I'm having on my 2012 MacBook Air ever since I updated to Sierra). Considering el capitan is still being supported, for highly mission critical devices, I would probably hold off in updating to Sierra. Seriously, I don't need to be talking to Siri when I can find what I want quicker with spotlight. I mean it's like Cortana on Windows 10. Great for demo, but how many people actually uses it.

12. Left4DeadBoy macrumors regular

Left4DeadBoy

hi Yeah you should; its from Mac and its a download that cant possibly go wrong; Ive heard of songs skipping when they were placed in an external drive due to a weirdo problem like the drive getting flipped over; that actually happens; and your download from Mac is completely unlike that .

13. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

I never encountered a single problem with Yosemite on my Macbook Air. It ran very smooth, fast and was stable. I'm sick of the stutters and beachballs with Sierra and am seriously contemplating going back to Yosemite.

14. robdrj45 macrumors member

2012 Air, 8gb ram. I'm running Sierra - no known issues so far, operation is smooth. El Capitan also ran fine, but I had one constant annoyance with it; there was a somewhat longish delay before I could enter my password after awaking from sleep. This delay is much less running Sierra, back to normal I'd say.