2012 MBA- Should I upgrade to ML or wait for some more time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by maxy123, Jul 29, 2012.

1. maxy123 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

This is my 1st post on here. I'm recent convert to Mac!

I got 13' MBA with 8GB + 128GB. I got my code today for free ML upgrade. I read lot of issues for ML.. so should I upgrade it or wait till the issues are resolved?

I really hate that fan noise(it happened to me once) if it will happen regularly after ML.

Please advice. Thanks.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

There's likely nothing that should prevent you from updating to Mountain Lion.

Just perform a Time Machine backup and you're set.

3. maxy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really don't have any stuff on my MBA yet, its just 2 weeks old. So, no need of backup right?

Also, is this common to have issues for new Mac release? Will they send updates to fix them?

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Ah then just feel free to update.

Yes it's very common for Apple to push out a .1 update within the first month, just to catch any outstanding "bugs" but honestly, this is one of the more solid .0 releases in recent memory.

5. maxy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

^ Thanks. Will I loose lot of space for ML update?

6. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Nope. The download will be deleted after you install and it should have no negative impact on your space.

7. Isira macrumors newbie

There were some very annoying bugs in Lion which were fixed in Mountain Lion for me.

1. With Chrome open, Lion would almost never sleep, whereas sleep works properly under Mountain Lion.
    2. When running Parallels in full screen mode under Lion, the password login screen would almost always be hidden the first time you wake up resulting in an annoying beach ball wait until the next password timeout. This appears to be fixed so far in Mountain Lion.

I haven't experienced any major bugs with Mountain Lion personally.

8. maxy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks.. i still see some posts about issues, that worries me

9. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

You don't see posts from all the people who are not having problems. Why people don't take this into account before making decisions is a mystery.

10. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

11. KPOM macrumors G5

You should have seen these boards when Lion first came out. :D

It isn't a perfect analogy, but think Vista vs. Windows 7 when comparing Lion to Mountain Lion. The former made lots of necessary structural changes, but broke compatibility with older devices and software. The latter is mostly a refinement but with some new functionality added. Sure there will be some problems until bugs get ironed out and software gets updated, but there are a lot fewer issues with Mountain Lion than there were with Lion.

12. dangerfish macrumors 6502

I always upgrade my OS on the day it comes out. Lion was the first time I really had any significant issues. I've got ML on my 2011 MBA and I am not having any issues at all. In fact, when I open my MBA after it has been asleep all night, it is MUCH more "instant on" than it was under Lion.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have the exact same machine/configuration you do and have no problems whatsoever with Mountain Lion.

There is a feature or two I am not thrilled with, like the lousy Reminders app. But those are just design complaints I have, nothing to do with things not working.

14. maxy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks all guys, i'm going ahead withe the upgrade right now! :)

15. Ksh macrumors member

I'm plenty sure you won't regret at all :)

Just upgraded a few days ago in a brand new MBA 13" and every task i do now just makes me smile hehe

Greetings!

16. maxy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just updated and my Exhaust fan is over 5000 rpm and so much fan noise! :(

rest all looks fine so far...

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is Spotlight still indexing? It will reindex with a new install and that can make then hot. After the Spotlight reindex you should be in good shape.

18. maxy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, its back to 2000 rpm .. thanks :D

any good review out there to check out the new features?

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This review from Arstechnica is in my view the most through review out there.

This page from Apple will give you the highlights of what is new.