2012 MBA trackpad issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by vjicecool, Mar 12, 2014.

1. vjicecool macrumors 6502

Hey Folks
    Recently i am noticing an issue with my track pad, click/selections are ok
    when i try to move the cursor from one place to another, i notice the text is been highlighted. some times one click is causing double click. was wondering what would be the reason.
    I called apple store and they said its going to cost me 300 to fix that.

should i consider taking it to local mac repair center, good idea?

2. cyber16, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

cyber16 macrumors 6502

If outside of warranty.
    You can purchase a replacement touchpad/trackpad on ebay for around $20 +/-
    This is an easy diy repair, you will need a 000 Philips and a 5-Point Pentalobe screwdriver
    I'd first try reseat the ribbon cable on the pad, likely not the issue.
    Does the clicking motion seem to have extra travel as if the bottom part of the pad is loose or no travel at all? Maybe the travel setscrew that is on the underside needs to be adjusted.
    This setscew is threaded within the lowercase "center bottom of the touchpad" there is a micro switch on the underside of the touchpad it comes in contact with that does the clicking actions.
    This would need a T5 torx screwdriver

There is no way I would pay apples inflated $300 price :eek:

If you purchase a replacement touchpad, make sure it is for the same year model Mid 2012. Prior years will work since they used usb interface, its the keyboard media & functions keys that changed over the past few years. The keyboard controller is also part of the pcb on the underside of the touchpad.

3. vjicecool thread starter macrumors 6502

I will try your suggestion by opening it and try to harden it and then if that doesn't fix the issue
    i will try with the ebay one
    thanks for the idea bro

4. cyber16, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

cyber16 macrumors 6502

I would try to loosen that screw just a tad, maybe then it won't act as if you were pressing it.
    While in there, make sure the four upper 000 phillips screws that hold the touchpad in place did not come loose, if they did the touchpad may no longer be resting centered and may be rubbing on one or the other sides and hanging up a bit.

Edit:
    My mistake, there are actually six screws on both right and left brackets that hold the touchpad in place.

5. vjicecool thread starter macrumors 6502

6. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

This has happened with a number of people's MBA trackpads. It was happening a lot to me last year, but over the last 6-7 months it hasn't done it much at all. I had actually booked an appointment with the genius bar and was about to go take my MBA to them when I decided to try out the trackpad one more time and suddenly it was fixed. I couldn't replicate the problem no matter what I tried (where if you move the cursor it thinks you are hard pressing and starts selecting everything). It still does it super rarely, but not enough to bug me.