2012 MBA - What would be the ONE dealbreaker for you?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jobsian, Feb 21, 2012.

?

What aspect would you most like to see improved on the 2011 MBA?

1. CPU

3.6%
  2. SSD

10.8%
  3. GPU

16.7%
  4. RAM

23.0%
  5. Battery

21.2%
  6. Integrated 3G/4G

2.3%
  7. Screen Res

8.1%
  8. USB 3.0

8.1%
  9. Thinner

0.9%
  10. Lighter

0.5%
  11. Different Design

3.6%
  12. Other

1.4%
  1. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

The 2011 MBA seemed (perhaps with the exception of battery) to satisfy most improvements people wanted to see over the 2010 edition, at least according to my 2011 wish thread.

We've now had the 2011 MBA for long enough to know what we'd really like to see improved in a future model.

As I've said before, by far the thing I want to see upgraded in a new Air is battery. Always zeroing it, even at home.

Let me know of any other suggestions not included in the poll.

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I was going to say GPU....but honestly for an ultra portable it is quite good! So USB 3.0 is my biggest need right now.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Integrated 3G/4G would actually be a deal breaker in my opinion. I don't want hardware I won't use taking power. (It uses some even if not in use.) It's another thing to break.

And truthfully most places you would want to use a computer, there seems to be WiFi available.

4. Warhawk15 macrumors regular

Warhawk15

Honestly, I'm going back and forth and can't make up my mind!
    Yesterday I came to the realization of how much I love the 13" screen, and now might stick to 13" if I buy the 2012 version.
    Whereas before I always thought it was so small, but I realized it does kind of fill up my whole view when I'm sitting pretty close to it.

So now I just really want the gpu upgrade(Ivy Bridge) and 8gb of ram.
    Maybe more so the gpu, since 4gb is still a decent amount.
    Either way, chances are they'll upgrade 8gb of ram with the new one anyway, but its not a certainty, as the gpu upgrade is.

Usb 3.0 would be nice, but I think it'll be an addition to ivy bridge anyway.
    So my vote is...8gb of ram! :confused:

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I voted screen res, but actually I think they should get more RAM.

RAM is cheap now ffs.

Make 8GB standard (8gb is currently around 30-50 dollars RETAIL cost! i'm sure it will cost apple about half that) and 16gb option please apple. 4GB soldered to the board is just way to shortsighted and limiting - its THE reason I am typing this on a macbook pro right now.

The GPU can be upgraded via thunderbolt, and discrete graphics on battery is crap anyway (witness a 15" pro go from 8 hrs life to 2 by turning on discrete GPU usage :D) - so build it into a docking station type setup...

6. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

The battery would be the biggest upgrade for what I use mine for.

The little 320m does just fine on mine as far as graphics or light gaming, and I didn't buy it as a primary computer, so the C2D takes care of anything I want to do. The SSD is awesome.

7. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Thunderbolt is dead. It's long past time that USB 2.0 was as well.

8. Bear macrumors G3

I'm no so sure Thunderbolt is dead. However, USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt have some differing uses. And yes USB 3.0 would be nice.

9. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

GPU and Ram.

When I purchased my MacBook Pro 2007, the discrete GPU was one of the main reasons for choosing it rather than a normal MacBook. Even if I did not end up using the computer for gaming of any sort, the discrete GPU is the reason why my 5 year old computer still feels way faster than the 2009 MacBook I received from my school, both on Lion. The discrete GPU is the reason why my MBP may be running 10.8 Mountain Lion in a few months whereas I'd otherwise would have been forced to update. My computer is 5 years old and still feels like a fast computer for most tasks. Also, knowing that I'm able to upgrade my ram is very nice.

As of now, I would never buy a computer which is limited to 4GB of ram, neither would I buy a computer with integrated graphics. If Apple would offer the 2012 MacBook Air in 15" with upgradable ram and discrete graphics, I might upgrade. Otherwise, by the time my MBP no longer copes with my daily tasks, I will end up getting a new MBP.

10. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

8 GB Ram option with 4gb standard
    2x USB 3.0 ports

11. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

12. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I think if you own an 11in MBA, chances are you voted battery. I know I did!

13. gpat macrumors 6502a

battery battery battery battery battery battery battery battery battery battery

14. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

I can't just chose 1 option!

Quad-core + GPU PLEASE!

15. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I would like the GPU, and CPU improved and a different design, is more then one, Would like there's two things improved plus a different design would be nice too

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I don't know what would necessarily be a deal breaker for me, but the only one thing that would get me to consider upgrading is a major improvement in battery life. I'd love for an Air to last closer to 10 or more hours.

17. Nioxic macrumors regular

i could ask for better graphics performance.

but then again, it really does run smoothly..

does 1080p a bit choppy on youtube though

18. neilpryde23 macrumors regular

Well I would only consider an Air if the rumored 15" model comes out since 13" is too small. But assuming that the 15" does become available, a deal breaker would be if there wasn't more than 4gb of ram available. At first, I thought the most important part was a larger 512gb SSD, but I can always upgrade that myself. But thinking I'm going to own this computer for at least 3-4 years, I gotta think that 4gb RAM isn't really a comfortable amount right now, so down the road, it probably won't be enough and with no way to increase it, I just can't justify purchasing it. I'd rather be safe than sorry and it doesn't hurt to have too much RAM (not that I'm aware of)

19. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

You can't upgrade the storage on the MBAs as it is flash memory based.

20. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

For what it offers, thunderbolt has no alternative.

Some crappy CPU driven bus (USB 3) does not offer PCI-E expansion capabilities.

----------

Yes you can (see OWC), however RAM is soldered to the board.

21. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

I had that reversed, I thought the storage was soldered to the board. Your RAM comment makes more sense. That's actually a huge relief for me. Thanks, lol.

22. neilpryde23 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure you can get it from OWC.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/SSDAPE6G480/

But I'm sure that would void the warranty since they use those pentalobe screws to prevent people from opening it.

EDIT: sorry, I didn't see your last post. But yeah, soldered storage would be 1000% be a deal breaker too

23. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I don't know that I would call thunderbolt dead....if it is, its still born...since it came out very premature.

I want thunderbolt and USB 3.0 instead of 2! And devices that actually use Thunderbolt! Like an external PCIe box!!

24. KPOM macrumors G5

The 2012 MacBook Air should have both. Thunderbolt is great for PCIe expansion and video in. We need more manufacturers producing Thunderbolt displays with built-in ports and perhaps built-in graphics cards. USB 3.0 isn't equipped to handle things like this.

TB is overkill for flash drives, which is where USB 3.0 will come in handy. That said, we also need shorter and less expensive Thunderbolt cables.

25. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Good idea :)