2012 MBA with Mountain Lion installed takes long time to shut down

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by slumpey326, Oct 12, 2012.

1. slumpey326, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

slumpey326 macrumors 6502

This appears to be a problem. I even did a clean install and still getting a while to boot down (like 15seconds). Didnt have this problem with Lion, took only a few seconds.

Anyone else noticing this or have a fix to make it completely shut down quicker.

2. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

3. will waters macrumors regular

Having had the same problem as you, i did a little research, the research showed that if you had already quit 'Mail' before trying to shut down, it shut down a lot quicker

I have tried this on my MBA and it appears to work...

Will

4. slumpey326 thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont use mail at all. I make sure everything is closed first, except of course Finder which never closes and I push the Power - shut down option. It then seems to take like 15 seconds to turn off. Before it was taking less than 5 seconds.

This seems not right,.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Is the southern version. :D

Anything external, any network shares may cause OSX to take extra time to disconnect from them nicely.

Dunn worry about it.

6. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Though I rarely shut mine down completely, when I do, it tends to freeze right after I confirm the shut down. The dock disappears just halfway, the screen turns a weird color, and the spinning circle thing just keeps spinning. I have to hold the power button for it to turn off.

7. sparayno1 macrumors newbie

I too have this problem. Also when I wake up my 2012 MacBook Air, it takes 3-4 sec to wake up instead of instantly.

8. the-jobster, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

the-jobster macrumors newbie

Same here, upgrading to ML kinda fixed the instant on that Lion broke, but now it takes a long time to shut off... I miss my old air with SL with its better battery life, instant on and instant off!

edit - the following thread gives some possible solutions... removing google chrome worked for me.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1414639&page=4

9. TheRichboy247 macrumors member

I too, am experiencing slow shutdown times on my 2012 MBA. It takes me around 12 secs to shutdown (Slower than startup time!) and I close all running apps. Still 12 secs. Sometimes if I'm lucky, I get around 5 secs. It doesn't really bother me because I don't shutdown my computer often.

10. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Dozens of threads on the same subject. Try a search next time.

11. Thaicruze macrumors newbie

it's just the way Mountain Lion shuts down after you've been using it for a while.

I don't know why. You can have no running tasks. Empty your startup items. Nothing matters.

If you turn it on and wait 3 minutes and shut it down, it'll shut down instantly. If you are using it for a while and shut down, it will take 12-15 seconds.

Also, after coming back from sleep. The mouse will not come on after 3 seconds or so, even if the screen comes back instantly. This happens after the computer has been asleep for over an hour. I read someone said this was about getting everything in the sleepimage file back into RAM.

Basically, I ignore the sleep thing and I never shut it down. Issue resolved.