2012 MBP 13" Random restarts and shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phas3, Jun 21, 2012.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

I got this MBP 3 days ago, since then it has restarted itself 3 times. All three times I was just surfing the web or listening to itunes.

Has this happened to anyone? Why is it doing it?

also is it possible to return this one for another one?

2. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

3. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

If I take it back to the apple store, how do I return it to its factory state?

4. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Def. return and exchange it for a brand new one if it's something they can't fix on the spot while you wait.

This happened to me twice on MBPs. First instance was due to a bad battery. It turned out to be widespread and Apple issued a recall. Second instance was bad 3rd party RAM I installed. Vendor swapped it out and MBP was working great after that.

6. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

Will do that after work, how do return the MBP to its factory state?

7. doh123 macrumors 65816

you don't need to restore it to factory state unless you are paranoid about data you put on there... then you could just delete what your worried about and do a Secure Empty Trash... let Apple worry about it, because if you waste your time wiping and reinstalling the OS, they'll just do it again anyways.

If you really want, you can hold down Opt when you turn it on from the time you hear the chime, and let it up once you see the boot menu. Boot to the Lion recovery partition, and you can go in there and use disk utility to wipe the OS partition and do a fresh install of the OS. When the install gets to the part when it starts asking about adding a new user and stuff like you saw when you first turned it on, just turn it off there.

8. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

oh alright got it, saves me some time. thank you!