2012 MBP 15" no charge or power

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beachguy, May 25, 2018.

1. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

2012 15.4" hi-rez(not retina) screen, i7, 16 GB ram...

I had to replace the clamshell on my MBP (2012 15.4") and now I cannot get it to charge or operate when plugged in. The charger/power cable is good- if I plug my MBA into it, it works just fine. I thought it was the battery connector being loose, but that isn't the issue.

Any suggestions as to where to look for problems?

2. Beachguy, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I don't see anything that should keep it from working. Does anyone have suggestions?

I've checked connections and also the Magsafe connector and all seems proper, and I also cleaned out the connected on the side of the Mac.

3. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I just noticed when I connect the power (Magsafe) to the MBP, the light on Magsafe comes on as green, then fades. Not sure what that means.

4. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

When you replaced the LCD, did you unplug the battery? If so, have you removed and inspected that connection?
    The Magsafe board is right next to the LLVDS cable routing. Have you confirmed that all connections on that board are solid? That board is easily removed without removing any other parts, double-check it.
    Have you already done an SMC and/or PRAM reset?
    Is there any opportunity for you to try the power adapter with another system?

5. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I have reset SMC and PRAM. I will review the other items you listed. Many thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2018 ---
    Oh- I was at my optometrist so my eyes were dilated, so it will be over the weekend when I check. The world is not fully focused. LOL!