2012 mbp 15" slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lasloduncan, Jul 18, 2017.

1. lasloduncan macrumors regular

Why is my 2012 mbp with 16gb and Sierra and not much on it ( I use it as a backup) so damn slow…I use my imac daily nice and quick..mbp not so much- I sorta think, to much software and not enough 2012 backbone to service it?? Thoughts please. thanks

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Is it a retina or non-retina? If non-retina, are you still running the platter drive that came in it? That will be your bottleneck with Sierra.

3. lasloduncan thread starter macrumors regular

thank you...figured as much bought it used and I think it has a non apple hard drive in it...so likely, I am guessing thanks ...works fine just slow like I said back up to my imac

4. abaloney macrumors newbie

I think hallux is implying that you should replace your old magnetic hard disk with an SSD. It will make a world of a difference. I have a 2011 with an 850 Evo SSD. It scores ~10K in geekbench, which is still impressive for today's standards. You have the last "upgradable" MBP and its it'll be wholly worthwhile to upgrade the disk to an SSD.

5. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

SSD will make a night and day difference. And with today's prices of SSD, I think it's the best bang for the money upgrade.

6. lasloduncan thread starter macrumors regular

7. DeafEyeJedi, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

DeafEyeJedi macrumors newbie

Yep even one of my old 2006 MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w only 6 GB ram (maximum allowed) w NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB which runs just fine in OS X El Captain (10.11.6) and of course I had to install a SSD to replace its original drive as well as swapping out the CD/DVD drive with additional SSD for twice the space.

Did the same things on my newer 2012 MBP 15" (non-retina) and I can't be more happier!

8. lasloduncan thread starter macrumors regular

well we are were wrong...it was an impaired cable signal...larry the cable guy fixed it ...fast as me after an apple pie--so weak cable signal