2012(?) MBP constantly Crashing (Yosemite)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Silverrune, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Silverrune, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014

Silverrune macrumors regular

Not sure whether this should be posted in the OS X Yosemite Section, or here. But my MBP, is constantly shutting off, as if it is losing power. It used to be that after a while of using it it would do this, but had gotten to the point of doing this as it starts up. After a few tries I can get it to Safe Boot but that also inevitably shuts off. Not sure whether it's my Logic Board going again (this would be the third time which is ridiculous) or if it's Yosemite. Even the recovery partition does this.

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

As you should be well aware, Yosemite is a beta so that does very well mean it could be due to unstable software.

Have you tried going back to Mavericks to see if it still presents with these issues? If you do drop by the Apple Store, reinstalling Mavericks will be the first thing the genius will ask you to do - before any repairs are initiated.

Pure speculation on the hardware side, does this happen only on battery power? Have you looked at the health of your battery? Ie using something like Coconut Battery. Do you have a 15" or 13" MBP? If it is a 15" it could be a graphics card failure.

3. Silverrune, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014

Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

In order to do that wouldn't I have to at least be able to boot the computer normally? I'll try a few different things and get back to you. It is the 15". I must be wrong, it should be a 2012 MBP then, I have the 650m.

----------

I'm trying to alternate between battery and AC, but now all I am getting on boot is a white screen, no Apple logo. Can't safe boot, can't get to recovery partition, just a white screen. Neither SMC reset or PRAM fixes it.

I know Yosemite is a Beta and what that entails, just wanted to not rule out the problem.

4. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

Any ideas?