2012 mbp crashing!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by s2smooth4u, Oct 13, 2012.

1. s2smooth4u macrumors regular

Okay my MBP is fairly new. I bought it in July 2012, and did a memory upgraded professional at Mac enthusiast. Starting last week my computer has been restarting when I try to bring it back from sleeping. These are my specs:

15-Inch, Mid 2012

Processor 2.3GHz intel core i7

Memory 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics NIVIDA GeForce GT 650 512 MB

Software Mac OS x Lion 10.7.5

Could the memory failing be the cause of my problem?

Thanks

2. s2smooth4u thread starter macrumors regular

3. Binomio macrumors member

Have you tried putting the old memory and testing from there?

Your laptop should be able to run on 16GB but Apple doesn't recommend putting more than 8GB as this can create many issues.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

The only way the ram is an issue is if its faulty. The amount has nothing to do with it. Why don't u upgrade to mountain lion and see if the issues persists.

5. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Can you expand?

What issues are those?

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

No it does not. Don't spread propaganda based off no facts.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The very first step when troubleshooting would be to re-seat the memory. If it still crashes, remove the 3rd party RAM and reinstall the stock RAM. If you still have problems, take it to an Apple store or AASP.

8. s2smooth4u thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! I'm assuming "re-seating" the memory is reinstalling it?

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yeah. Just pop out both sticks and then put them back in.

On a side note, have you tried running Apple hardware test?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

10. s2smooth4u thread starter macrumors regular

Ive been wanting to do this, but whats the proper way in going about upgrading. I see that I can just download it from the apple store, but if I were to just install ML would I need to uninstall my added programs and then re-install them to avoid any problems?

----------

Nope. I will try that first. Thanks.

11. Binomio macrumors member

I repair Macbooks, iMacs and MBP/Air for a living with a big company constantly visited by Apple.
    Apple has always said that MBPs do support 16GB and it may not cause issues at all, but they do not recommend more than 8GB installed.
    This is also why you can't build a MBP with more than 8GB on the Apple store.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

FYI, AHT can appear unresponsive or locked up, I usually just let it run overnight and look for errors recorded in the morning. It can take a LONG time to test the RAM, especially in systems running 16GB.

13. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I got something they can recommend;)
    Apple are kings of propaganda. The chipset can support 32GB of memory unless they firmware or SW locked it. 16GB runs just fine and is configurable in the retina which uses THE EXACT SAME chipset. Soldering to the mobo has no magic effect to make it be stable as opposed to the standard MBP. Apple voodoo.

14. s2smooth4u thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads up!

15. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Lol cool story, go you! That's rad bro! Still you provide no facts, just speculation based off apples config.

16. Binomio macrumors member

Look I wasn't trying to spread false propaganda in the first place, it is just information that Apple provided to us. Whether you agree with that or not, isn't my problem, to each his own.

Honestly, as long as the chipset, OS/fw support it and RAM speed/voltage are supported, I do not see the problem with upgrading RAM. I have a late 2011 MBP and have upgraded to 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD and haven't had any problem so far.

17. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Wait, you told the OP that Apple doesn't support or recommend more than their max config of 8GB because it causes issues? Yet you run 16GB regardless of Apples asinine "recommendation" and had the audacity to tell the OP it causes issues? Wow.