2012 MBP for FCP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Muldert, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Muldert macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

I'm about to buy a macbook instead of my Mac Pro. And I want to ask you for your opinion.

If I want to run FCP (next to the Adobe programs occasionally), what's a better idea:

Late 2011 17 inch or 2012 15 inch?

I need at least 1080p for proper editing, but the 2012 15's will probably have better rendering capabilities due to ivy bridge.

For the new MBP I'll buy 8 or 16G's of RAM and two 512 SSD's which will end up in RAID-0.

so, wait for the 15" 2012 or go for the 17"?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're asking a question on an unreleased product?

The current MBP's can run FCP so I would assume that the 2012 models once released will be able to be more then enough computer to run it

3. mickpearcey macrumors member

There will be a delay on release for the 17" as they haven't started major production yet. Your question also depends on whether you want a desktop replacement (17") or a laptop which is light enough (15") to carry about but is still a power horse.

4. smali macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

You don't need a 1080p screen on a laptop to edit full HD. You would need a fairly huge screen to view real time and edit or a dual monitor setup with timeline on one screen and playback on another.

5. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

As others have said, the question is more of portability, are you happy carrying a 17" laptop as opposed to a 15"? If that matter is of no concern, then take the resolution into account, there is no proof in saying there will be a 1080p resolution on the 2012 15" macbook pro; therefore if you need a 1080p resolution screen and need it now, your only solution would be the current 17" macbook pro, else you wait and see what the 2012 15" offers in terms of resolution.