2012 MBP not taking advantage of CPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tommyp2401, Aug 8, 2012.

1. tommyp2401 macrumors newbie

I have a 2012 MBP 13'' and while I was exporting a good sized imovie project. It took about a half hour. While waiting I checked my iStat Pro dashboard widget and it said that 70-80% of the CPU was idling. Is there any software I could use or something to take better advantage of my CPU?

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Multi-threaded. 80% of software is single core use only thats why clock speed is still very important until everything gets multi-core support. This has been slowly getting better ever since PPC G4. It is taking a very long time because devs only think of themselves and their apps and not the environment in general. Handbrake, Compressor, Logic Pro, Final Cut X are some examples of fully multi core aware apps. Cinebench and geekbench can be used to test the CPU.

3. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Try Final Cut Pro if you want to utilize all your processor power. It is a bit overkill, but easy to learn. 30 day trial here.

4. tommyp2401 thread starter macrumors newbie

So Final Cut Pro X would give me a faster export time? I've been contemplating whether or not it would be worth the money for what I do.

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Well it is at least worth the free trial to find out.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The export may also be limited by your HDD speed. If FCX doesn't improve your export speed, try an SSD upgrade.

7. blahbrah macrumors 6502

Yeah, open up your Activity Monitor and choose Disk Activity and select the I/O radio button. If it's in the hundreds chances are your HDD can't keep up either.