2012 MBP not taking advantage of CPU

tommyp2401

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
I have a 2012 MBP 13'' and while I was exporting a good sized imovie project. It took about a half hour. While waiting I checked my iStat Pro dashboard widget and it said that 70-80% of the CPU was idling. Is there any software I could use or something to take better advantage of my CPU?

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Multi-threaded. 80% of software is single core use only thats why clock speed is still very important until everything gets multi-core support. This has been slowly getting better ever since PPC G4. It is taking a very long time because devs only think of themselves and their apps and not the environment in general. Handbrake, Compressor, Logic Pro, Final Cut X are some examples of fully multi core aware apps. Cinebench and geekbench can be used to test the CPU.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
I have a 2012 MBP 13'' and while I was exporting a good sized imovie project. It took about a half hour. While waiting I checked my iStat Pro dashboard widget and it said that 70-80% of the CPU was idling. Is there any software I could use or something to take better advantage of my CPU?
Try Final Cut Pro if you want to utilize all your processor power. It is a bit overkill, but easy to learn. 30 day trial here.

tommyp2401

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
So Final Cut Pro X would give me a faster export time? I've been contemplating whether or not it would be worth the money for what I do.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
The export may also be limited by your HDD speed. If FCX doesn't improve your export speed, try an SSD upgrade.

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2006
The export may also be limited by your HDD speed. If FCX doesn't improve your export speed, try an SSD upgrade.
Yeah, open up your Activity Monitor and choose Disk Activity and select the I/O radio button. If it's in the hundreds chances are your HDD can't keep up either.