2012 MBP or new MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by moorashjs, Nov 18, 2014.

1. moorashjs macrumors newbie

Okay all, I have an old MB in the white plastic case. It has been great but I notice it is getting a bit slower and thinking i might be getting close to the end of its cycle. I have been looking at the MBA the 1.7ghz with the 128GB. I am worried about such small storage but can get it for 899 minus some coupons I have at Best Buy. Now the problem is on BF they have the older MBP for 899. So that's the dilemma, do I go with newer but less storage and upgrade possibilites or older with more upgrade ability. Thanks.

2. bgd macrumors regular

I've survived for 4 years on 128GB so it is possible. Really depends what you need to carry around with you. I use a NAS at home so get round it that way, but next machine will have a little more space.

3. ReelAction macrumors member

I'd suggest a new MBA. The recent hardware has better compatibility with current s/w, and will be more responsive. Not to mention better portability and battery life.
    If data storage becomes an issue, there are many USB drives available for under $100 that could be a solution.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I would also suggest the MBA. The MBA has newer internals such as graphics and processor and the PCIE flash storage is very nice to have. Even though Apple is still making the 2012 cMBP, you would essentially be buying a 2, almost 3 year old laptop. The MBA will give you twice the battery life and the thinness and lightness of it is so much more convenient in everyday use even if you aren't traveling with it.

I have used both and would find it very hard to recommend the cMBP at this stage in the game.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

The MBP is likely to be more useful for a longer time, because you can upgrade RAM and drive. And in terms of processing power, it'll be comparable to any of the current Air models.

Note that you usually can't buy an Air with more than 4 GB of RAM unless it is ordered.

Also, you can use the same coupons at BB on the MBP, so you could end up paying less than $800 for it.

Finally, I've used both and am biased against the Air - the screen looks washed out and gray next to the cMBP (color gamut and accuracy of the screen in the MBP is significantly better than the Air; the Air trades that for slightly higher resolution).