2012 MBP RAM Question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tungo529, Jun 12, 2012.

1. tungo529 macrumors member

I know the new MBP's are capable of supporting 16GB of RAM, which is what I would like to upgrade to. It's been 2 years since I got a new MBP, and this new retina display one will take over my mid-2010 15" MBP.

However, like the MacBook Air, in which you cant upgrade the RAM yourself, is the RAM in the 2012 MBP something that only Apple can do for you, like the MacBook Air, or can you purchase your own RAM sticks and stick them in yourself, like all previous model MBP's? I watched the video explaining how Apple designed the new MBP, and saw the internals of the computer itself, but couldn't find for the life of me where the RAM slots were.

I'm curious, as this new machine is worth quite a bit of money and I would like to save as much as I can wherever I can. I'd like to know before I should fork out the extra $200 for the RAM through Apple.

Thanks in advance.

2. hi-there macrumors member

I watched the same keynote video... They showed the RAM... I think it was in the middle of laptop and it did not look like regular DDR3. I have ordered my MBP with 16GB from Apple for that exact reason.

3. tungo529 thread starter macrumors member

It is soldered in. You cannot replace it on your own. This was confirmed by one of the employees at Apple. Hope that helps all prospective customers in regards to their decision on whether to go with 16GB or not.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Both the Air and the Retina Macbook Pro have soldered RAM. Even Apple can't upgrade your RAM after you order.

Both the Air and Retina Macbook Pro have proprietary SSDs which Apple does not consider user replaceable but can physically be removed (one screw and it slides out of the connector).

5. Adamb10 macrumors member