2012 MBP randomly falls asleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prof., Apr 9, 2013.

1. Prof., Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Hey all! I have a mid-2012 15" MBP and once or twice a day it randomly falls asleep while I'm working on it. I checked my hot corners settings and the only way for me to accidentally put the display to sleep is if I hold down the command button, so that's not the problem. The issue only surfaced two days ago, and since then I haven't made any changes to the hardware or software. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks! :)

I did just start using Google Chrome in the past two or three days, could this be causing a problem? Other than that, there haven't been any other changes...

2. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

I reset the SMC, hopefully this fixes the problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

3. TranceMessiah macrumors newbie

Mine fell asleep a few times over the past 3 days.. And I only bought it a week ago lol

I've got retina 15" '13 Feb.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Magnets detect whether the lid is closed or not, are you sure you aren't triggering them with a cell phone or headphones?

5. TranceMessiah macrumors newbie

Hmm..interesting. I keep my headphones around my laptop almost at all times.

6. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

i think my late '11 15" mbp has done that too awhile back, seems like a bug... turning computer sleep to never in system preferences > energy saver stopped it from happening.. it still sleeps when you shut the lid.

7. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Maybe it's a bug in 10.8.3?
    My headphones are normally in close proximity of my MBP when I'm not using them. As for my iPhone, it's always within a few inches of my MBP when I'm on the computer. I'll have to see if my computer randomly falls asleep next time I get an incoming text message or something similar.
    As do I.

8. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

I had this happen to my 2013 Rmbp 15 randomly.. before and after the OSX update.

No magnets in sight...

I think its a bug somewhere.

9. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

IT ONLY DOES IT LATE AT NIGHT!!!!!!! Sorry for all the caps, but I just realized this! It's 11:56pm in Chicago and it just did it! It always does it close to midnight! :eek::eek::eek:

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Check to see if you have the sleep set on a timer, perhaps someone has done a little practical joke on your computer.

Go to energy saver--> schedule.

11. TranceMessiah macrumors newbie

Happened 3 times today. This time, each time I wake up the laptop it goes back straight to sleep after 3-4 seconds, no matter what I do. Any suggestions? It's not a big deal, but I don't want to lead to something more serious.

12. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Okay, the issue seemed to resolve itself, but it started doing it again today. it did it twice today alone. Ugh, I really don't want to take it in for service, it's a new computer! (july 2012)