2012 MBP & smcFanControl weirdness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JohnRN, Jul 7, 2012.

1. JohnRN macrumors member

JohnRN

I'm using smcFanControl on my new 2012 13" MBP. In the menubar where it would normally show Temp/Fan speed it's showing the Temp is 0 degrees Celsius. Obviously it's not freezing inside my computer. I haven't heard the fans increase but I can still manually increase them as needed.

So the questions are now

1. Why is it showing the temp inside my computer is 0 C and is anyone else having this particular issue on their new MBP using smcFanControl. (I did upgrade my HDD to an SSD but it was showing this beforehand)
    2. Will my mac still override the default settings and increase the fan speed if the computer does start to get warmer?

Thanks for y'alls help.

2. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

My rMBP reports 0 degrees Celsius too.

If you have the setting set to 'Default' it should act like normal unless you manually select Higher RPM.

Reading temperature can be done using iStat Pro, a very useful free widget.

3. JohnRN thread starter macrumors member

JohnRN

I'm glad to see it's happening with others as well on new MBP's both reg/retina.

Yes I have it set to 'Default'. Just wanted to make sure it would still act like it used too.

Yes I have iStat pro, it shows normal temps like I'd expect. Just trying to figure out what's going on with the 0 C. :)

4. flipnap macrumors 6502

same thing here.. simply not working right at all.

5. doh123 macrumors 65816

I tried looking at the source code some (and I know nothing about the SMC), and Apple apparently changed the sensor code/key thing in the SMC and are not using the same ones they used on previous models, so SMCFanControl is not getting the temp. I have no clue how to figure what what key it is using, or it should be a really simple fix to make a new version.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

SMC Fan Control is not updated for the 2012 machines, so I reluctantly dont recommend using it until it`s updated, as the cooling of any computer is critical. I have used SMC Fan Control for several years and it has always served me well. Once the dev releases the next version I will once again install.

For the Retina MBP the fan RPM`s are not the same as previous MBP`s with one fan running slightly faster, this should also be taken into consideration. From my observations the Retina really doesn't need the fans to be manually overridden to assit cooling. If you are looking for details on the thermals of your machine use Bresink Temperature monitor it`s updated for Ivy Bridge and free and offers tremendously comprehensive data.

7. doh123 macrumors 65816

it won't hurt anything to use it, just use it for fan speeds and not temp monitoring. It doesn't change your fans based on the temp it find anyways, the actual SMC always controls your fans. SMCFanControl will only set your minimum fan speed, not your maximum... so it won't cause any problems.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I tend to agree, all the same I can wait and as I say I am not sure there is a real need for SMC FC on the rMBP, my Early 2008 15" Penryn, definitely, the Late 2011 Sandy Bridge 15" 2.4 i7 yep there is still reason to manually override the fans minimum RPM.

So far with my Retina, temperature monitoring yes, from a point of interest, (Bresink Temperature Monitor) overriding Apple`s cooling plan, may now just be a thing of the past...