2012 MBP still worth getting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FutureStar, Nov 14, 2013.

1. FutureStar macrumors newbie

I'm planning to get a MBP next month, but I'm not really interested in the new MBP's with Retina since they don't have a CD drive and less memory capacity. Best Buy has the 13" on sale, and I was wondering if it's still a good deal (I do plan to expand the memory and the hard drive). My current computer is almost 7 years, so any new computer is an upgrade.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

In my opinion the cMBPs (the ones with the optical drive) are still very good computers. You can upgrade memory and the disk drive and even put a 2nd disk in if you remove the optical drive.

I have 2 cMBPs and plan to hold on to them, even though my new MBA is my laptop of choice - it's lighter.

Get a decent CPU and upgrade the RAM yourself and it's a great system, despite many detractors. The screen is stil perfectly good - I can't tel it from the retina, but I am older..

On thes forums, cMBP refers to any Macbook with the optical drive, and rMBP refers to the new ones with retina display, no optical drive, and no user upgradeable parts.

3. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

absolutely. I love my late 2011, I don't see the reason (besides Retina screen, which I don't need) to get a newer one. My 2.2GHz i7 is plenty for editing, my 2.3 i5 was good too, just wanted 15"

So in short, yes :)

4. Voca macrumors member

Voca

Check Fry's and Microcenter as well. In the long run you gonna hate Best Buy. If you ever gonna have any issues with your MBP, Best Buy is gonna send it out, where Fry's and Microcenter have Apple repair in-house.

5. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I Gotta say YES.. but depends what You Need..

Agreed with MANY above replies.. My mid-2011 Hi-Res 15" 2.3 i7 is all I'll need for a while yet.. I put 16GB of RAM into it, and replaced the HD with a M4-512GB and it is like a NEW machine since.. ** and Refurbs are ALWAYS a good idea, as far as myself and my friends have been concerned anyway!! :apple:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15