2012 MBP + TBD or 2011 iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by baseman12, Mar 1, 2013.

1. baseman12 macrumors newbie

I wanted to get a few opinions on what setup would be more suitable for gaming, editing photos, and converting video.

I currently own a 2011 iMac, 2.7Ghz i5, 16GB ram, 512MB 6770m graphics card

I'm looking at getting a:
    2012 MBP, 2.7Ghz i7, 650m 1GB, 8GB ram, along with a Thunderbolt display

The main reason I am looking to switch things up is for portability (gaming, editing on the go, with the option to dock at home)

Do you guys think the performance of the MBP while pushing the extra pixels of the TB display would cause the performance to be less than what I currently experience on my iMac (6770m at 1080p)?

I would be gaming (WoW, Diablo III, LFD2, CoD)

Editing photos (Lightroom, PS)

Converting video (Handbrake)

Thank you for your advice!!

2. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

Hi!

I have a late 2009 27 inches iMac that I use also as an external monitor for my 2012 cmbp and man this is the ideal situation! The iMac is used as a server and my main computer is the laptop!

Handbrake on the iMac ( it's my server) but it would work ont the laptop even better.

Diablo 3 works flawlessly, don't know about the other games you mentioned but..... I played Crysis on high settings (bootcamp) and it was flawless!

I have the model with the 1G 650M, don't know about you. But the performances will be the same with a thunderbolt display but you won't have two computer, for me it would be an issue.

Hope it helps