2012 MBP - Using dual monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snyder17315, Dec 4, 2012.

1. snyder17315 macrumors newbie

Just a quick question for those that may have used this setup. I have 23" (1920*1080) and 20" (1600*900) LG desktop monitors and I was considering buying a 2012 MBP (non-retina) for a desktop replacement.

I know I can get the Matrox DualHead2Go Digital ME and run both monitors from the laptop (using the only thunderbolt port and one of the USB 3 ports), but will I be able to run each display in its native resolution?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes.

3. skiborsy macrumors newbie

I think the answer is actually no. From the FAQs on Matrox's website (http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/faq/#7):

Can I use different sized monitors?
    Compatibility is determined by resolution, not screen size. Although you can use different sized monitors, all displays connected to DualHead2Go must run at the same resolution and refresh rate. To get the most of your Matrox product, we recommend you use two identical monitors (that is, monitors of the same size, display resolution, and refresh rate).

4. leandrohiroshi macrumors newbie

Hi!

Quick question too.

With Matrox DualHead2Go Digital ME, am I only able to output a big screen(stretched background) or is there any way to output 2 independent screen.

Thank you!

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Afaik it fools your system into thinking it has one very wide screen, not 2.

6. leandrohiroshi macrumors newbie