2012 MBP Workaround for Apple Watch Auto-Unlock?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by el-John-o, Oct 4, 2016.

1. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I've been searching to no avail, has anyone discovered a hack or workaround that enables auto-unlock on a Mid-2012 MacBook Pro? I know there were some released for enabling handoff and continuity on some pre-BLE Mac's.

It's crazy that it doesn't work because there's no hardware difference. I'm typing this on a Mac Mini which auto-unlocks which is essentially identical to my 2012 MacBook Pro, just without the display. My MBP, of course, has BT4.0 (BTLE), and continuity and handoff works great. So I was hoping maybe someone has gotten a tweak to make this niche, but neat, feature work.

Especially since the mid-2012 MBP is technically a 'current' model, one you can still buy from Apple.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

There is a hardware difference. Apple Watch Unlock requires 802.11ac Wi-Fi, which the 2012 MBP doesn't have and can't get.

Your 2014 Mac mini is also extremely far from being "essentially identical" to your 2012 MacBook Pro.

"System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch"
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204689

3. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you so much! I didn't realize that.

And yes, that's true. It's got Iris instead of HD4000 and a slightly faster Core i5 CPU; but performance wise they are reasonably similar. However, given that the '14 Mac Mini has the newer airport card; that must be the difference!

I know you say "Can't get", but I did some digging after reading your response and apparently people have been installing the Wireless AC Airport cards in the 2012 non-retina MBP's? Is that not true? People on this forum sure claim to have.

What I've read suggests that you can't actually gain much performance due to the types of antennas used in the MBP; but that you can actually install the card and it'll work. Is that not correct?

Thanks for responding!

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I haven't seen it done successfully. Links please?

- You're quite welcome.