2012 MBP, worth the SSD upgrade or replace with AIR?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by westsidedirty, Feb 13, 2018.

1. westsidedirty macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2018
    I've got a 2012 MBP with 4GB of ram. I thinking of updating to an SSD drive. Is it worth trouble on a 6 year old computer or should I upgrade to a macbook air?
  2. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502

Oct 21, 2017
    It will make a huge difference and will feel like new so unless you need to replace your MPB soon for another reason it's well worth it.

I upgraded my 2011 about 18 months ago. I'm now considering to replace it in a few months but I think it was well worth it. And the SSD is not lost, I'm not sure if I will sell it with my MBP or if I'll reuse it as an external drive.
  3. kohlson macrumors 65816

Apr 23, 2010
    This is an easy and relatively inexpensive mid-life kicker. If your MBP is otherwise in good shape, you'll be amazed, and wonder why you didn't do it earlier. There are several approaches to getting bits from old to new, including Time Machine, CCC and Super Duper. The best, but perhaps the most time consuming way, is to do a clean install. But make sure you have all your install files for your apps.
  4. treekram macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2015
    Honolulu HI
    If you have the non-Retina 2012 (the Retina version came with 8GB RAM standard), it's not difficult to put a SSD and upgrade to 8GB or more of RAM. Crucial has a new SSD line, the MX500, which has received good initial reviews. It costs $80 for 240GB. Samsung has a new SSD line, the 860 Evo and that's $95 for 250GB. Memory would be $75 or so for a 8GB module (you can put 2 modules in the MBP - best to have matched modules but you can run off a single module or mix them, right now you have 2x2GB modules).

The MBP is heavier, obviously. The CPU in the 2012 MBP is 3rd generation Intel, the latest Air uses a 5th generation Intel and the latest MBP uses a 7th generation. So the Air has not received the latest CPU upgrades from Apple.

However, if you want to connect a 4K UHD monitor, the 2012 MBP max official resolution is 2560x1600. The current Air will support 3840x2160 at 60Hz.
  5. ignatius345 macrumors 6502a

Aug 20, 2015
    I revived an old Mac Mini with an SSD. It did absolute wonders, and for all its age, the thing is still quite usable to this day.

If the RAM on that machine is upgradable (I'm too lazy to look it up lol), bumping it up to 8GB will probably also speed it up quite a bit I'd think.

Also, even if you do part with the MacBook later on (as surely you will eventually), you'll be able to pass it on as a much more usable machine than it is now.
  6. westsidedirty thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2018
    This is great news! I will look into upgrading both RAM and install a SSD. I do have all my files backed up with time machine. I appreciate the help!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2018 ---
    Can you recommend a decent RAM setup for my MBP?
  7. treekram macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2015
    Honolulu HI
    You should run the Activity Monitor app while you're doing typical tasks and see how much memory you use. If you're going to use a newer OS that you have right now, it would likely use more rather than less memory so plan for that.

(look in the "Memory" section)

There are 2 slots for memory. As mentioned earlier, you have 2x2GB modules now. In order to upgrade you have to replace at least one of the modules. Thus, let's say you go to 8 by using 2x4GB modules. To upgrade from there, you'd again have to replace at least one of the modules. As I mentioned earlier, it's best to have matched memory modules (for performance reasons) but you can run with just one or mis-matched modules. So you'd have to plan from there and your memory usage whether to get a 2x4GB or 1x8GB or max out at 2x8GB modules. Unless you really have low memory usage, I would get a configuration that gets you to at least 8GB.

I would suggest the Crucial site or another site that has a memory selector feature that let's you specify what system you have and will come up with the right memory for you. I just looked at the Crucial site and the prices for memory are comparable to what Amazon has for the mid-2012 non-Retina MBP. Sometimes for certain types of memory, the Crucial site can be noticeably more expensive. (Make sure you specify the right model - run "About This Mac" on your computer.)

I've always gotten RAM that worked from Crucial (and none has ever failed - going back more than a decade). But obviously other people have different opinions.
  8. schmonballins macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2018
    Oklahoma City
    I have a Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro and I upgraded to an SSD when I bought it in March of 2012 and also upgraded it to 16GB of Ram out of the box. It's been a great machine and I don't see any reason to upgrade anytime soon, unless Apple chooses to not support it with a new OS update, I won't be upgrading.

I bought all my stuff from OWC at macsales.com, they have videos on the site that take you step by step through the installation of the SSD and the Ram upgrades. I have a 2TB Samsung 850 Evo in my MBP now, but I originally had a 480GB SSD from OWC in it.

Upgrading the SSD and the Ram will give your MacBook Pro new life, if you aren't doing any heavy duty creative professional stuff on it, then there really is no reason to upgrade. The CPU gains from Ivy Bridge to Kaby Lake are not big enough to justify unless like I said you use your Mac as a Creative Professional and time is money.
  9. Macdctr macrumors 6502

Nov 25, 2009
    For my mid2012 13 inch MBP I went with the 16GB RAM upgrade and got a 1TB SSD. Between both of these upgrades my MBP performs very well.
  10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Feb 20, 2009
    I'd replace the HDD with an SSD.
    I'd also add ONE 8gb DIMM to the topmost slot (while the back is off).

I think you'll be VERY pleased with what you get from doing both of the above...