2012 MBPro or MBPro Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pepatrick, Jun 25, 2012.

1. pepatrick, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

pepatrick macrumors member

Ok..just picked up the last MBP 2.7 in the apple store. Got student discount even a with very very old student id card. I knew I kept it for some reason. The laptop will spend 99.99% of its life in a twelvesouth book arc.

I will transfer my 240gb OWC extreme 6g ssd from my early 2011 MBPro and purchase 16gb from OWC.

Help me...why do I feel like I should have purchased the retina display model even though I will probably not use it as a portable that much? This MBP will end up saving me almost 1000 over the comparable MBPr.

Yeah..I like the latest and the greatest but I want to feel good about the non retina MBP.

2. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

I had the 17in MBP for about a week and decided to go with the Retina. Really, Really glad I did. Screen is so worth the extra money!

3. pepatrick thread starter macrumors member

I agree..the retina screen is awesome, but again..it is going through my 27" Thunderbolt display most of the time.

4. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

The subject title seems like you're still choosing but you said you already bought the 2.7.
    Sooooo what are we talking about here?

:confused:

5. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Then what's the problem? I think you just need a little sun and fresh air ;)

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

i know for most people it doesn't make sense b.c you can get a base retina with better specs than a high res regular.

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

The regular (legacy) MacBook Pro with the maxed out config I'm assuming.

OP, there's no point getting a Retina Pro in your situation. The whole point of it is that it's lighter and has a better screen- if you're basically going to use it like a desktop that you might occasionally move around the one you have seems to be perfectly suited for you.

8. pepatrick thread starter macrumors member

Now there is someone talking sense. Like the M5 avatar too. Longtime BMW fan...even though now I am driving a new Chevy Avalanche LTZ...

9. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Glad to help!

Some pictures of mine here and here :)

Chevy Avalanche eh... should've sprung for the M3 Truck :p

[​IMG]

10. pepatrick thread starter macrumors member

Did they actually ship that over here. I have not seen one yet, but is kind of cool. I had a 2007 X5 4.8. Loved it but once it went out of warranty it was draining my wallet. I am looking at a 2008 M5 with 28k miles on it. Could be a fun mid life ride.

11. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Ha, no, that's just a fake render I think. Don't think BMW ever made a truck for real.

Considered an X5M? I had one for a while and that TT 4.4 was awesome, I just didn't need something that large.

It's not a mid life ride, it's a practical 4 door saloon car that just so happens to have an enormous V10 stuck in the front :p

Just be prepared for trips to the pumps, I'm barely getting 8mpg out of mine.