2012 Mini Drive Replacement Question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by dmunz, Jun 4, 2017.

1. dmunz macrumors regular

First, I suspect there is an answer to this buried in one of the many drive replacement threads but, because my case is a bit specific, maybe not.

I have a 2012 mini that came with the 1TB hard drive. I upgraded to a dual drive system by adding an SSD with the fixit kit. I did not create a fusion drive. The SSD is my boot drive and has BCD device node "disk0s2"; the spinner has BCD device node "disk1s2".

I'm now getting S.M.A.R.T. status failing on the spinner so I want to replace it with one, larger, drive (1TB to 2 or maybe 4). I'm completely comfortable with the hardware side of the replacement but I'm not so sure about copying files or recreating the second drive.

Is this simply a copy and replace? (I have an external kit for that connection to USB.)

Can I use my TimeMachine backup after swapping the drives?

Or is there a better way?

TIA
    DLM

2. for this macrumors regular

If that (failing) drive contains only document files, you can just copy them. But if there also are system files, you will have to use one of these cloning options: Restore function in Disk Utility, Time Machine, or a utility like Carbon Copy Cloner. Personally I'd use Disk Utility's Restore because it's free and Time Machine is too involved for just a one time cloning like this.