2012 Mini: How much RAM for Yosemite?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ZipZilla, Nov 1, 2014.

1. ZipZilla macrumors regular

I know the 5400rpm spinner is the main bottleneck in this thing, but how much RAM should I be looking to put in? Currently at 4GB. Would I benefit from the full 16 or would 8 do the trick, or is 4 enough?

Thanks!

2. crazzapple Guest

Depends entirely on what you're using it for and how long you plan to keep it.

3. ZipZilla thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for responding. I'll keep it at least 3 years.

I use it for general everyday computing needs. Email, internet, Spotify, creating YouTube videos, spreadsheets, etc. Nothing too heavy. I never do gaming.

4. crazzapple Guest

8GB would cover you nicely. Try to budget for a ssd; that will make your whole system feel so much faster.

Edit: You could probably get away with 4GB, but I'd go 8GB if at all possible.

Edit #2: If you stay with 4GB, definitely get a ssd, that way if you end up swapping due to lack of ram, it won't be as noticeable.

5. loud0g40oz macrumors member

Just spend the extra $50 and max it out at 16gb. Then you don't have to worry about it anymore.

6. ZipZilla thread starter macrumors regular

I think I am going to just put 16GB in it and be done with it.

7. crazzapple Guest

Yes, if you can afford the upgrade, go for it. Get a ssd too.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

I pretty much use mine for internet, email, Pages, Numbers and iTunes radio and 4GB is more than enough for my needs. :)

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

16gb of RAM costs a LOT more than $50 lately.

My suggestion (and my opinion only):
    Buy -one- 8gb RAM module, which will give you 10gb.

Cost-effective, should handle most tasks that Yosemite throws at it, and I doubt you'll notice any "speed difference" because the modules are "UN-matched" (as distinguished from using two RAM modules of equal size).

That's what I did a couple of months ago with my own 2012 Mini, and it's running fine.

Actually, I'm only experimenting with Yosemite at the moment -- running on an ancient 2.5" IDE drive mounted in a firewire 400 enclosure!

But with a couple of tweaks, it runs surprisingly well -- compared to Mavericks, which was a dog no matter what I tried to improve its performance.

My tweaks:
    - turned off compressed memory via terminal
    - turned off VM completely via terminal
    - disabled sleep image

I've got a big enough "installed memory cushion" so that I shouldn't bump up against the "hard limits" that are present without any VM at all. Runs pretty good!

10. macaron95 macrumors regular

my 2011 Mac Mini works well under Yosemite with 4 Gb, no lag

just upgraded to 8 Go, now it's even faster

so, no matter if you have a 2011 or 2012, you may upgrade to 8 or 16 depending on your budget and it will work just fine

11. ZipZilla thread starter macrumors regular

The 16GB kit for the 2012 Mini is $165 from Crucial. I want to buy good RAM with a good reputation.

12. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Yes, when you get get the extra 8Gb for about $50 more than what 8GB costs, it's worth the cost.

13. atc1 macrumors newbie

Amazon has this memory about $30.00 cheaper.

14. ZipZilla thread starter macrumors regular

I saw the Amazon deal, but it isn't the same part number as Crucial and if you read some of the bad reviews for it, it didn't work some people.

15. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

I have purchased that same ram 4 times now. It works perfect. The part numbers are different because crucial changes them for vendors.

16. ZipZilla thread starter macrumors regular

In that case, I will be placing my order. Thank you for the valuable feedback. I love a deal.

17. cinealta macrumors 6502

I'm running Yosemite on 2009 Mini with 4 Gb RAM and it works fine. Why don't you try 4 Gb first before buying more RAM? You can always add more RAM in the future to a 2012 Mini.

18. AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

Keep an eye on it. Some Macbook Air folks with 4GB and SSD standard are complaining and referred to Mavericks as way quicker than Yosemite on MBA hardware. I have loaded all my 2012 minis to the max with corsair kit and SSDs from amazon.

19. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Installed 16 GB from 8 GB on a 2011 Mini, and saw no use for it in Activity Monitor, and that was a wasted upgrade for me. Even a 4 GB amount was OK in my book. 8 GB is enough. SSD on the other hand is way better upgrade...PERIOD Don't let those that say 16 GB and forget about it replies sway you into wasting your money for nothing

20. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I've had my i& Mini for almost two months now and still have the stock 4GB in it and running Mavericks. For the most part, it runs fine but when I use iFlicks and it starts to import to iTunes, the computer runs slower then molasses and I can literally click on the iTunes icon 100 times before it will switch to iTunes from iFlicks. I pretty much just leave it alone now while it is busy but while it's importing, the computer is useless.

I plan on getting more RAM soon and I'm not even thinking of running Yosemite any time soon.