Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Found a quad core 4gb model that I'm about to go grab. I can upgrade this guy to 16gigs of ram correct? If so, best place to buy? Same for the SSD.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Found a quad core 4gb model that I'm about to go grab. I can upgrade this guy to 16gigs of ram correct? If so, best place to buy? Same for the SSD.

Yes my Mac mini has a Crucial M500 SSD and 16GB Crucial RAM. My Windows mini has the OEM 1TB HDD that came with it plug the OEM 1TB HDD than came with the Mac mini.

The Windows mini (2.3) used to be a Mac/Windows mini. I moved the SSD and the RAM to the new mini (2.6). I was going to use another SSD from my sold Mac Pro as the C: drive in the Windows mini but could not get Windows to install on it.

Do you get the feeling I love removable RAM and Storage?

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I picked up ram and a ssd. Do I need to fire it up first on the OEM hard drive or just go ahead and swap in the ssd first?

Chuck Rodent

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2014
Fire it up on the installed HD to make sure it is not DOA. Then do a clone to the SSD and install the SSD plus memory. This is what I did since I was not transferring over any files or apps onto the new machine.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
Do you have any way to attach the SSD to the Mini externally BEFORE you put it in?

It's best to "do the prepping" of the new drive before you attempt the surgery.

Having said that, and assuming you haven't yet done anything, I agree with the post above that recommends that you clone the "fresh contents" of the HDD to the Mini. CCC is the easiest way to do this.

You'll need to BOOT the new Mini at least once, and create an account.

I would suggest a "temporary administrative" account (for lack of a better choice, just name it "administrator" and use an easy password).

Once you're running under this temp account, the very first thing (assuming you're online) is to download CarbonCopyCloner. Then connect the SSD, initialize it, and clone the contents of the HDD to the SSD.

If you've got the SSD mounted externally, it's also wise to do "a test boot" from it, to assure yourself that it's working as intended before you open things up.

Ics1974

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2014
Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the mini before upgrades?

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the mini before upgrades?

2.3 quad core I7, 4gigs ram, 1tb spinner. $749. Beggers can't be choosers so I did what I had to do to get one before they are all MIA. I didn't want a used one either.

I had purchased a MBPr for $1k more as I needed a new machine but decided to take it back when I found this remaining mini. BBuy has a few left but you'll have to check all stores in your area.

----------

One more question to those who have done this. Is it better to do a fresh install via the boot utility or clone the drive? I ask this because I haven't really put anything on the machine yet and am wondering if a clean, fresh install would be better.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
One more question to those who have done this. Is it better to do a fresh install via the boot utility or clone the drive? I ask this because I haven't really put anything on the machine yet and am wondering if a clean, fresh install would be better.

And do I need a cable to add the ssd to the hdd in it already? I don't know if I should keep the existing drive in there for data storage or toss it in favor of just the ssd!

Any help is appreciated.

cinealta

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
One more question to those who have done this. Is it better to do a fresh install via the boot utility or clone the drive?
Fresh install is always better. Follow the thread on creating a USB flash drive installer in the Yosemite forum.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Ok thanks.

The HDD it shipped with is in the "upper" location according to disk utility in the OS. Can I just install the SDD in the lower location, clone it over from the HDD then tell the machine to use the SDD in the lower location to boot from? Then image the HDD and use it for file storage? Would that process work? Or do I need to put the sdd in the HDD location (upper) and put the HDD in the lower bay? Sorry for all the questions just trying to understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.