2012 Mini with two 27" Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by DerekFlint, Mar 30, 2013.

1. DerekFlint macrumors newbie

I am buying a 2012 Mini next week and plan on using my existing 27" Cinema Display, which I don't think will be a problem. I would like to buy another used 27" Cinema Display and use it as well. Is this possible? Obviously the HDMI port won't work.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Nope. You could buy a Thunderbolt Display and daisy chain the ACD off of it (if you put another thunderbolt device between them).

3. Radiating macrumors 65816

Dual displays will work with thunderbolt (daisy chain or thunderbolt to DVI/hdmi)

However, keep in mind that the integrated Intel HD4000 graphics card will only support 2560x1600 on one monitor, and 1920x1200 on another.

The cinema displays are 2560x1440, which means you will have to run one display at scaled resolution.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

This is incorrect or rather not entirely correct. If using a Thunderbolt Display and either a second thunderbolt or a monitor with display port the. You can have two monitors with 1440p displays.

You only have the limitation of a second monitor at only 1920 x 1200 if you use the hdmi port OR if you use an hdmi/single dvi adapter after the Thunderbolt Display.

So again if you follow what I posted above you can do two monitors at full 2560 x 1440 (even 2560 x 1600) with no issues and many here do so!

5. Radiating macrumors 65816

Interesting, so it only works if you daily chain. Didn't know that.

Cool!

6. heartiswell macrumors newbie

7. michael_aos macrumors 6502

I had both the Thunderbolt Display and LED Cinema Display connected to my Late 2012 Mini for a little while.

Worked perfectly, but I felt the 2nd one was just too big for my desk / space.

I wound up using a 1920x1200 as the second display.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

In the case of the OP, he mentioned Cinema displays. Cinema displays do not have that functionality. They use a displayport protocol. Also I'm not sure whether regular displays can chain off the thunderbolt display, but I do not think you would use a thunderbolt to X adapter. If you want to run a displayport/dvi display off thunderbolt, you typically use a mini displayport to displayport/dvi cable. A thunderbolt cable generally will not work. Personally I avoid adapters in favor of cables with different connectors. Adapters are often garbage. Look at the number of complaints the Apple Store gets regarding failed adapters. They are one of those parts that should be avoided whenever possible.

9. Drharrington macrumors member

10. Pheo macrumors regular

IIRC the Dell 2713H has a daisychain DP port, to allow an additional monitor, so I'm guessing that this isn't thunderbolt specific.

2x27" displays is a bit nuts though, I literally just got my 2713HM today, and find that huge! Wouldn't have room for two definitely!

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I actually really like 24". I could deal with 27 if it was similar to the cintiqs, but even the large intuos tablet is way too small to be comfortable with the 27". Even with the 24" I crop off part of the display area as I can't stand it being too far from 1:1. I didn't know about the Dell. I will have to look that up. In fact I never read anything about any version of the displayport protocol supporting daisy chain functionality. I think the latest is still 1.2, which was basically confirmed in 2009.

12. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Daisychaining is supported in 1.2. Thunderbolt only supports 1.1. You can daisychain two 1.1 displays using thunderbolt because thunderbolt includes two displayport 1.1 signals but not a single displayport 1.2 signal. Therefore, with thunderbolt port the only way to daisy chain two displays is to use at least one TBD monitor. With the next Thunderbolt chipset, Displayport 1.2 will be supported so it may be possible to use displays such as the Dell 2713 and daisychain them. Only time will tell.