2012 Motorcycle Thread.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cbmstocks, Mar 16, 2012.

1. cbmstocks, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2012

cbmstocks macrumors member

Do you Mac people ride?

It is 2012, and the true motorcycling season is just around the corner. Therefore, it is time for the 2012 Motorcycle Thread!

Advice on first bikes, Craigslist deals, and general discussion of all things motorcycle related.

Anyone looking to get a new bike this year? I've been back and forth on purchasing, and ended up getting a 07 Aprilia Tuono.

I hope to get a ton of rides in this year and some good curves as well. Plan on heading out to Mid-Ohio for Vintage Days.

Here's the newest addition to my stable :)
    [​IMG]

2. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Almost done with the deal to switch my old ride, a 2010 Harley-Davidson StreetBob :

photo.JPG

With a brand new 2011 BMW F800R :

new.jpg

Yes, I'm losing quite a bit of money doing this (though the Street Bob is mostly paid for, so it's only costing me 50$ out of pocket as it stands right now).

The deal took a while to close (having to bring in my HD for inspection pre-exchange) so I can't get the BMW until probably sometime next week. And it's going to be sunny and 20 C out this weekend. :(

3. cbmstocks thread starter macrumors member

i have a thing for dual sports. i had a 955i tiger i just sold. they are my true love..

i've never really liked harleys.. except for the v rod. so i approve of this change :)

4. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

The F800R is not a dual sport though, it's a naked bike, competition for things like the Honda CB1000RA or the Ducati Monster. But it's a bit more civilized in that it comes with on-board computer, ABS and heated grips. :D

The Harley is quite nice, long distances are comfortable, the laid back position makes it a dream to ride at low speeds down a nice country road. The problem is I do mostly commuting, short distances on highways, so I don't even get to sit on the bike long enough to enjoy the Harley's added comfort, and there's nothing scenic about 5 a.m. in the morning crossing the bridge into the city.

5. cbmstocks thread starter macrumors member

haha. i get so confused with bmw's naming policy. i remember looking at the f800gs a few years ago. get all those letters and numbers mixed up. but i did do some googling and yeah, it's a super nice bike. congrats on the trade! i'm all about being comfortable on a bike. i would never buy a bike that wasn't. the aprilia is surprisingly comfortable. and my other ride which is a kawasaki w650 is surprisingly uncomfortable after about 100 miles because stock seat is hard as a rock. i've found myself jumping on the tuono more this past week for anything other than the work commute since i'm rebuilding my fxt with forged internals :)

thought i'd throw that in because of your username.

and to everyone else.... i'm a huge enthusiast and if anyone has any questions regarding motorcycles feel free to post. or pm me if you're too shy ;)

6. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Hum, not a lot of enthusiasts on Macrumors it seems. :eek:

With the abnormal weather patterns last week, I managed to close the deal on that BMW and proceed with the exchange. I'm now the proud owner of a BMW F800R 2011, yellow. :D

IMG_0421.jpg

Rode to work last Friday (heated grips came in handy in the early morning) and rode it hard on Wednesday when first I got it (25 C, leather and traffic don't mix very well...). Gotta to say, it's quite different from the Harley. It's a lot of fun to ride, very agile and has a lot of guts for such a small and light bike (a touch over 400 lbs).

Now that we're back to more normal temperatures, I probably won't be able to enjoy her for a few more weeks. I can't wait for the warm weather to come back. :D

7. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

I ride, in fact I have a Street Bob! It was great to get some miles on it last week but now it's back to being too cold again.

Congrats on the new purchase, I wish mine was paid off, haha.

8. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Motorcycling has a season? :p
    I have rode all winter before.

I've been told my 12 year old car won't pass it's MoT later this year and I can't justify being a 2 car family anymore so I've got one eye on buying a cheap bullet proof bike to ride to work, all weather. Something no-nonsense like a Honda CBR600 or Varadero.

I've also got the wife's old scooter in the shed, just needs an MoT.

9. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I used to ride a MC everywhere in my teens and twenties, but stopped riding for some reason. Now decades later, I recently got relicensed to ride MCs but haven't done any riding beyond taking a Basic Rider Course as part of my job and involvement in a CA state task force to find ways of reducing motorcycle crash fatalities. The hot topic being debate now is lane splitting--enthusiasts love it and cagers (automobile drivers) hate it. Our group discussions usually end up in a near shouting match, but it is great fun. CA is the only state in the US in which lane splitting is not illegal if done safely (as judged by law enforcement), by the way.

10. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Lane splitting (or filtering in the UK) is taught as part of the motorbike license test over here. Legal and expected.

I shouldn't be on this thread, I've been without a bike since mine was stolen about 3 years ago and I haven't the money to buy a new bike., but I've got the itch bad.

My (ex) ride.
    [​IMG]

11. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Are there restrictions or advisories on how it should be done, for example a speed differential or speed cap? Filtering at low speed is much different fraom a safety standpoint than, say, splitting at 60 mph.

12. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

13. cbmstocks thread starter macrumors member

haha i would imagine it feels like a superbike when coming from a hardly ableson :)

yeah looks like the mac people are more into the unmotorized two wheeled transportation..

haha. i've gone through a few beater bikes and 600s so i decided it's time to nut up.

oh it has a season :) i can't believe it when i see people riding in january. yeah they're in full leathers but still. cbrs are bulletproof.. if maintained. and most of the people that have cbrs.. well.. don;t maintain them

yeah. i've never been an aggressive rider. so i don't think i would utilize lane splitting.

that stinks. lickily i haven't had to go through the heartache of getting mine stolen

i saw it on the top gear episode where richard rode the black shadow :eek:
    every time he would split the lanes i would cringe.

i wouldn't feel comfortable doing it at all.

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I rode for years until ill health stopped me...My last project was the Honda, it came to me in 4 large cardboard boxes, and I spent a winter rebuilding it.

Attached Files:

15. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Couple more shots....Wish I could still ride...Spring is here...:(

Attached Files:

16. cbmstocks thread starter macrumors member

sorry to hear that. it's always a tragedy when you can't do things you love to do.

after my father's shoulder surgery about ten years ago he was told by his doctor he couldn't ride for a year. so he bought a hondamatic 750 and rode it the whole season. he had to have another rotator cuff surgery because of that but it was during winter so he couldn't ride regardless.

i had a honda 350 four. i loved that bike. sounded great with a 4 into 1

17. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

What model? It looks like a 305 Halk, late 1960s? Great bike. I had a Honda 300 Dream back in the day, and then upgraded to a 900 Harley Sportster (fine ride).

18. cbmstocks thread starter macrumors member

it's a honda 500 four.

19. bgd macrumors regular

On the Weekend

I went tripping around Malaysia on my wee Yamaha XT250X - it's the supermotaded version of the XT, for those of you who have an idea of what I'm talking about. ;)

Did 735kms over 2 days. I must say I'm quite getting into this small bike touring. While it isn't fast it handles the rough roads very well and the roads are rough. I do fancy a Tenere though.

The main aim was to test a new GPS, which worked pretty well. Big test will be this weekend when I head up to KL and try and find my way through the hell that is the road system up there.

20. Peewhy macrumors newbie

21. cbmstocks thread starter macrumors member

that's a long way to go on such a little bike. props to you!

i think pics should be mandatory.

22. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

Mostly been a thumper guy myself. Couple of 2 strokes for motocross and trials. Main interest has been off road riding -- all my injuries are my own fault, and I haven't needlessly terrorized any innocents ...

Rode an XL500 from NYC to Austin and back in 80 - that's my biggest road venture.

Currently have 98 DR350SE stripped down and suspension modded. Started on a second wheel set to make it tard convertible, but will probably sell that and my other bike (250 Beta Techno) to go the more practical transportation route.
    Tempted by the Tiger 800, but will likely go VeeStrom 650 ..... for the practicality thing. Not really my idea of DualSport, but you can lardass your way along some unimproved roads pretty well.

Looking at taking a loop around US in a few months - Austin-Seattle-Maine-Austin.

Getting older, more practical, and trying to be more responsible. Mountain bike for off road thrills.

23. cbmstocks, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

cbmstocks thread starter macrumors member

tiger 800 hands down. vstroms are gutless and unexciting.

24. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

Well, no doubt the tiger would provide a better thrill when wound out .... but can you name me another bike that is as adventure touring capable as the storm 650, that will have anywhere near the operating cost over say 75 - 100K miles? Haven't ridden one yet (rain holding off test ride), so I'm open to suggestions.

Bikes don't have guts. Riders have guts ... to varying degrees ...
    Exciting is what you do with the bike - as in the adventure part of adventure touring, or certified balls-out riding with relatively low horsepower such as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t2cb8tVlaQ

25. bgd macrumors regular

If you like thumpers and are after a dual sport then the Tenere (XT660Z) would be my choice. Unfortunately they don't sell them in the US as far as I know.

I'm shopping for one this weekend. I'm after a rough road tourer that isn't too shabby on motorways and carries a pillion in a little more comfort than the 250. Being a big single is part of the attraction.

I had previously considered the Tiger but prefer the simplicity of the XT.