2012 New "Old" MacBook Pro Thought

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sublimeguide, Jun 30, 2012.

1. sublimeguide macrumors member

sublimeguide

I got my 2012 Macbook pro with the old chassis and w/o the upgraded High-res glossy/antiglare display and here are my thoughts on it after "playing" with it for a couple of days.

When I got it out of the box it was everything I expected and then some. It felt like a piece of art. I know this sounds insanely apple fanboyishly(?), but really, it isn't. This is my first Mac based machine. Before I was only using windows laptops and desktops and none of them case even close to what I saw out of this minimalistic box. Everything is where I expect it to be and it's very subtle as well. Without those stupid, flashy, 4th grade stickers, "proudly" stating the machine is windows/nvidia/intel/mcmuffin powered. I liked what I saw and I enjoy using this computer like no other laptop or desktop I've used before.
    Everything runs smoothly (for now), the webpages load crazy fast and the powerful ivy bridge intel processor doesn't even break a sweat for my daily activities. I still haven't tried to game on it. I will try in the next weeks or a month, but that isn't why I got it anyway.
    Among the things I don't like though are these:
    - Too little stock RAM for a laptop computer released in the year 2012
    - The storage space on the stock 15' model isn't something to be proud of as well
    - MacOS programs are much larger, that their windows equivalent. Not very big "flaw", but something I didn't know and it eats up significant amount of disk memory, when you have a lot of programs installed
    But the biggest, most significant "issue" with the model I purchased is:
    - the native resolution of 1440x900. Seriously, it drives me up the wall, that Apple kept that in 2012. It's a long story why I had to purchase this particular model and not to order the high-res glossy or antiglare, but this resolution ruins some of the experience. Now, I know they also released the retina display macbook and it's amazing machine with pixels so sharp, they might cut you, but the limitations, that come with it are too much for me to swallow. And if I want to remove the limitations, the contents of my wallet will be wiped out as well, and that is not what I can do now.
    It's just that Acers, HPs and Asus laptops all around, costing less, than half the price I paid for this MacBook are with 1920x1080 and here I'm stuck with the sh***y 1440x900, just a little bit higher, that the 4.7" Galaxy S3...
    It's just not "right", but I am going to enjoy it as it is. The pixelation is irritating sometimes, but overall it's not THAT bad. :apple:

One thing though: the text in safari and other web browsers is a little bit blurred and this strains my eyes. Is there any appearance/font settings someone can recommend me to fix this?

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Wow, with all due respect it seems like your cons outweigh your pros!! I have a 2011 model and I really enjoy it. Upgrading the RAM and adding an SSD will give you a tremendous boost in performance. I have the standard screen and I'm cool with that. I can see a retina in my future, just not right now.

Give it a bit more time and I'm sure your concerns will be alleviated.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its your money and if you're not happy with it, then take it back.

The ram is easily upgraded, the storage is easily upgraded and if you don't like OSX load windows or linux on it. Short of that, I'd say return it and get one of those Asus or HP models you were talking about

4. sublimeguide thread starter macrumors member

sublimeguide

You didn't understand me. I totally like the macbook i purchased and the only thing I dont't like is the fact, that i am stuck with the low resolution display.
    i have already ordered RAM, SSD and optibay.

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Return it and get the high-res model. That's the only thing that's going to fix what you see as it's biggest "flaw." Many people are fine with that resolution. I greatly prefer the high-res version. You're likely going to be using this computer for several years, so if it really bothers you, you'd be best of returning it for something you like better.