2012 non-retina 15,4" MBP terrible sound quality

pumanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Compared to late 2008 15,4" MBP, this new (non retina) sounds terrible. Sound is very thin - no bass whatsoever. Late 2008 is significantly louder, bassier and "fuller" in sound.

I resetted PRAM, it helped a bit, but the sound still sucks compared to the old laptop...

Any ideas?

pumanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Adjust EQ/ Sound Enhancer if using iTunes.

Still, no bass. Fixing iTunes EQ does also not fix the issue when watching / listening stuff on web browser etc.

Is this model supposed to have subwoofer? Late 2008 does not have and it's MUCH fuller in sound. This new one sounds like iPhone.

Comment

Acidsplat

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
Still, no bass. Fixing iTunes EQ does also not fix the issue when watching / listening stuff on web browser etc.

Is this model supposed to have subwoofer? Late 2008 does not have and it's MUCH fuller in sound. This new one sounds like iPhone.
I believe as of the mid-2010 MacBook Pros, they use a subwoofer.

Comment

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Maybe it's just broken. Perhaps take it into a shop and have it looked at.

Comment

Silmarien

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Compared to late 2008 15,4" MBP, this new (non retina) sounds terrible. Sound is very thin - no bass whatsoever. Late 2008 is significantly louder, bassier and "fuller" in sound.

I resetted PRAM, it helped a bit, but the sound still sucks compared to the old laptop...

Any ideas?
I too have a 2012 2.3 cMBP and I can vouch that the speakers are awful. Before this I had a 4 year old Toshiba Satellite with 4.1 Harman/Kardon speakers and I really miss it when I am listening to music...

P.S. Also when I plug in my Logitech X-230 external speakers even in lowest bass, the room around me shakes. Its quite a shame because I cant play music as loud as I would want to because then they would evict me :(

Comment

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Perhaps your speakers are broken, mine sounds just fine. (which means they sound like poop like just about any laptop speakers out there).

Comment

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Exactly, however..

Perhaps your speakers are broken, mine sounds just fine. (which means they sound like poop like just about any laptop speakers out there).
My 2007 17" MacBook Pro sounds full, robust, bass has impact and they are loud. I've also owned the 15" retina until I returned it because those speakers were all highs and no mids. My husband's 13" sounded better. Now I have the 17" late 2011 and I'm not sure yet but still sounds like my 2007 17" sounds warmer and fatter.

I hardly use the speakers though mind you, I mostly plug in studio speakers or my stereo system with 3 subs and 12 surround speakers around my apartment, or superior headphones people. The speakers on laptops are decorative, I personally don't need them. I personally want a powerful piece of paper thin laptop (if it was up to me 17" all the freakin way).

Thanks.

Comment

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
My 2007 17" MacBook Pro sounds full, robust, bass has impact and they are loud. I've also owned the 15" retina until I returned it because those speakers were all highs and no mids. My husband's 13" sounded better. Now I have the 17" late 2011 and I'm not sure yet but still sounds like my 2007 17" sounds warmer and fatter.

I hardly use the speakers though mind you, I mostly plug in studio speakers or my stereo system with 3 subs and 12 surround speakers around my apartment, or superior headphones people. The speakers on laptops are decorative, I personally don't need them. I personally want a powerful piece of paper thin laptop (if it was up to me 17" all the freakin way).

Thanks.
Oh don't get me wrong, they have some of the clearest sound out of all laptop speakers I've heard, but they've still got nothing on a pair of cheapo computer speakers, let alone my studio monitors/headphones.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.