2012 Non-Retina 15" MBP Have Upgraded Fans?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rectified^, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Rectified^ macrumors newbie

Can anyone with one of the new machines open it up and see if it has the asymmetrical fan design?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't believe they do, but that hasn't been confirmed yet. The new MBA has fans that are somewhat asymmetric, but not as much as the MBP-RD.

3. Rectified^ thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I have been hunting for info on it. Wonder why iFixit hasn't torn one down yet, they are available in stores.

Anyone? Just need to remove bottom cover and post a pic of the fans :p

4. fryrice macrumors member

subed...in for the same info there has been so much talk about the mbpr that there is hardly any review on the non-retina model.

i do plan on getting the non-retina model and just upgrade the ram and ssd later on. i want to know how hot these ones can get.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I know. It's almost annoying lol

6. Rectified^ thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone? I know there are several users on the forum who already cracked open their non-retina MBPs to upgrade them. Notice anything with the fans? :p

7. asdad123 macrumors regular

I would like to know this as well.

I think that Apple would keep the regular fans in this design for it to be an "incentive" in the retina model.

8. thomaskc macrumors 6502

I would love to know as well, I am really considering buying the 15" macbook pro, but there is NO way I would want the retina display, working with graphics, 3d and video as a profession I see nothing but problems with it. The initial idea sounds good, but there is a whole flood of underlying problems that will come with it. just not worth it. I do hope that this latest non retina MBP15 has better cooling though!

So simply put :p Id like to know too.

9. briiannj macrumors newbie

an associate at the apple store told me the fans are basically unchanged from the previous version, and not the same redesigned fans in the retina model.

10. thomaskc macrumors 6502

A shame, but hopefully the new cpu / gpu will be produce slightly less heat than older models. cool! thanks for the info.

11. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

I don't have the 15" model, and nor have I looked inside--but my 13" runs noticeably cooler than previous generations.

12. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

For the fans, I'm guessing if Apple was able to update the Air with the new asymmetric fins, I'd put my money that the classic 2012 MBP has them as well. But no way to confirm for now unless someone opens the chassis.

For those anticipating more info on the non-Retina 2012 MBP's, I found some bits although not much. MacWorld's review on the Retina is using the 2012 MBP for comparison and you might find those interesting. I think this means the classic MBP full review is on its way. I'll attach a sample below. If you see that, don't get too happy yet. That's the only chart I found where the cMBP beats the rMBP. The Retina is better in almost other aspects especially numbers crunching.

Attached Files:

13. Croneberg macrumors newbie

But there is the possibility of adding a fast SSD later on (to a probably lower cost than the BTO-Update is now), right? I guess all those "number crunching benckmarks" are done with the standard 5400rpm HDD, which kind of renders them useless in my opinion.

14. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

I really doubt anything was changed about the part designs. They're shipping new CPUs and GPUs. That's it.

15. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I'm not saying they're necessarily wrong, but they've been known to be about as knowledgeable as a random person on the street, especially about bleeding edge.

16. chad78, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

chad78 macrumors newbie

Um. No. Thats not it. USB 3.0. Bluetooth 4.0. Thunderbolt. Gpu and CPU. That's just the stuff they told us about. Actually since the new CPU is actually a new chipset I believe that means a new logic board as well. So basically that is a new EVERYTHING.

And I have one. I came here to find of about the fans myself. I guess I could take off the base plate and find out. But id really rather not do that until I have an actual need to.

17. Jacobwilson99 macrumors member

Most of the internals are soldered into the motherboard. Incapable of upgrading stuff like RAM later on. Btw.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As this thread is discussing the non-retina MBP, that statement does not apply.

19. powerslave65 macrumors regular

As the chassis of the cMBP is unchanged for several model runs, and the new gen cpu runs at lower power and cooler temps, then an upgraded fan would seem to be low priority for a line that's evolving away from that chassis.

----------

having already replaced the ram in mine I can confirm the fan blades are unchanged.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

did you actually measure them with a micrometer? the change is fairly subtle and not at all obvious if the mba is any indication...

on a side note, i can barely hear my fan at all at 3500k.

21. powerslave65 macrumors regular

You can see the blades in both ifixit teardowns if you wish....they are not changed and no micrometer needed...unless you want to play with one.:p

22. angrydog macrumors member

angrydog