2012 Pro Classic slowing down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by canadianrider, Oct 27, 2012.

1. canadianrider macrumors newbie

I've owned the 2.6ghz i7 pro classic with 8gb ram since about june or july and recently it seems like it's been slowing down. If I leave it for a couple minutes and then start to type there's a 2-3 second delay in where the computer figures out I'm typing... That goes for any program including typing in my password when I wake the computer up. It was never like that for the first few months of owning it and it's just getting worse. I've only used about 320gb of the 750gb HD so I don't think that's it.. any suggestions?

----------

Also I'm wondering if it could have been one of the updates..

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

when was the last time you restart the machine?
    perhaps you have a lot of apps running in the background and causes a large page outs to the hard drive. when the system goes to the hard drive to look for recent data, this causes interaction to respond slow.

you can either:
    restart the system
    quits apps that you don't use
    or buy more ram, like 16 gigs:D then you don't have to worry about page outs as much, since you'll have less of it. or better, get a fast ssd like an m4 with the 16gigs of ram like 1866mhz and you'll laugh at "slowing down":D

4. Podifer macrumors newbie

No it's not - having an hdd rather than ssd doesn't account for the problems he's having - something else has gone screwy.

OP - can't help specifically I'm afraid, beyond the usual advice of checking your page outs etc in case you are hammering your ram - hopefully more knowledgeable bods will come along. What I can say though is that I have the exact same MBP as you and I've had it for the same length of time. All updates have been applied and it's still running as smooth as silk.

5. theBostonian Suspended

Ditto OP, Same MBP, all up to date, no slowing down other than the known sleep/wake issue.

6. canadianrider thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the input guys.. i figured it wasn't the hdd since it's only a couple months old... im not computer illiterate.. just new to the apple side..

what's the known sleep wake issue?

also i see people talking about resetting the smc and pram.. just wondering how you do both

7. Fed macrumors 6502

What issue is this?

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Does the HDD have more than 10% free?

9. theBostonian Suspended

Just that it takes ages sometimes for the MBP to sleep, and then at other times it takes ages for it to awaken. No rhyme or reason to it.

If you look in the OS X subforum you'll see a few people mentioning it in threads. Presumably Apple will sort it out in an update at some point.